* CVS 5.8.4 as of 23 Feb 10am is broken
@ 2000-02-23 15:27 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-02-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Somebody broke something very recently.  Freshly updated,
reconfigured, and "make EMACS=xemacs" rewards me with this on fresh
XEmacs startup:

Signaling: (invalid-byte-code "variable reference to constant symbol :group")
  byte-code("..." [:group :link :prefix require mm-util message custom-declare-group gnus nil "The coffee-brewing, all singing, all dancing, kitchen sink newsreader." news mail gnus-charset "Group character set issues." (custom-manual "(gnus)Charsets") gnus-cache "Cache interface." gnus-start "Starting your favorite newsreader." gnus-start-server "Server options at startup." gnus-group "Group buffers." (custom-manual "(gnus)The Group Buffer") gnus-group-foreign "Foreign groups." (custom-manual "(gnus)Foreign Groups") gnus-group-new "Automatic subscription of new groups." gnus-group-levels "Group levels." (custom-manual "(gnus)Group Levels") gnus-group-select "Selecting a Group." (custom-manual "(gnus)Selecting a Group") gnus-group-listing "Showing slices of the group list." (custom-manual "(gnus)Listing Groups") gnus-group-visual "Sorting the group buffer." (custom-manual "(gnus)Group Buffer Format") gnus-visual gnus-group-various "Various group options." (custom-manual "(gnu
 s!
!
)Scanning New Messages") gnus-summary "Summary buffers." (custom-manual "(gnus)The Summary Buffer") gnus-summary-exit "Leaving summary buffers." ...] 10)
  load-internal("gnus" nil nil nil binary)
  load("gnus" nil nil nil)

Cut/paste of the update itself shows that it involved only these files:

[1083] [10:11:51] beaver:~/Emacs/gnus> cvs update
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating contrib
cvs server: Updating etc
cvs server: Updating lisp
P lisp/ChangeLog
P lisp/imap.el
P lisp/mail-source.el
P lisp/mm-util.el
cvs server: Updating texi
cvs server: Updating texi/ps
[1084] [10:12:10] beaver:~/Emacs/gnus>

The relevant ChangeLog suspects are

2000-02-23  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

        * imap.el (imap-send-command): Change EOL-chars when
        `imap-client-eol' differs from default, not only for kerberos4.
        (imap-mailbox-status): Get encoded mailbox's status.

2000-02-19  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

        * mail-source.el (mail-source-fetch-imap): Copy `imap-password'
        into `mail-source-password-cache'.

2000-02-17  Florian Weimer  <fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org>

        * mm-util.el (mm-mime-charset): Check for presence of
        `coding-system-get' and `get-charset-property' (recent XEmacs has
        the former, but not the latter).

Would one of the CVS cognoscenti please take a look?

--karl

* Re: CVS 5.8.4 as of 23 Feb 10am is broken
@ 2000-02-23 18:54 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-23 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Somebody broke something very recently.  Freshly updated,
> reconfigured, and "make EMACS=xemacs" rewards me with this on fresh
> XEmacs startup:
>
> Signaling: (invalid-byte-code "variable reference to constant symbol :group")
>   byte-code(...
>   load-internal("gnus" nil nil nil binary)
>   load("gnus" nil nil nil)

The backtrace suggest serious trouble, I doubt it's caused by the
patches you mention.

Does `make distclean && make EMACS=xemacs' help?  Do backing out
thoose three patches help?  Do a non-compiled gnus work?

Which XEmacs version where you using?  Could you try a stable one to
see if the problem persist?  I wasn't able to reproduce it with MULE or
non-MULE cvs-XEmacs 21.1.9.

* Re: CVS 5.8.4 as of 23 Feb 10am is broken
@ 2000-02-23 19:41   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-02-23 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:
> Does `make distclean && make EMACS=xemacs' help?

Well, now that's just weird.

I just did
  make distclean
  ./configure
  make EMACS=xemacs
and all works fine.  I'm using it right now.  Sorry for the false
alarm; this is the 1st time I've ever seen any problem with byte-
compilation of CVS-updated sources.  In the future, I suppose I'll
have to "make distclean" every time, just to be sure I don't get
similarly bitten.

--karl