* Mail folders
@ 1997-07-16 17:48 Stephen Witt
From: Stephen Witt @ 1997-07-16 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

As an old mh user who's recently switched to gnus, I was wondering how I might
get the mh 'folder' functionality with gnus.  What is the best way to store mail
msgs that I want to keep an arbitrary length of time?

* Re: Mail folders
@ 1997-07-16 20:35 ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Witt <witt@pairgain.com> writes:

> As an old mh user who's recently switched to gnus, I was wondering how I might
> get the mh 'folder' functionality with gnus.  What is the best way to store mail
> msgs that I want to keep an arbitrary length of time?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "folder functionality", but I'll
take a stab at your question.  If you mean the one file per message
and one directory per folder format that MH uses, there are two
existing Gnus backends use this exact format.  nnml, and nnmh.  The
latter is an MH compatible backend.

See "http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_6.html#SEC144" for more info on
the different mail backends.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Mail folders
@ 1997-07-16 21:47   ` Stephen Witt
From: Stephen Witt @ 1997-07-16 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  What I mean is that every now and then I would
like to keep an email and file it in directory that is subject specific
and then be able to view those msgs using gnus.  Sort of like you can
refile msgs into different folders in mh and change to those "folders"
to view the msgs.

Is this what "foreign groups" (or at least partly) are in gnus?

Thanks...

* Re: Mail folders
@ 1997-07-16 22:12     ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-16 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stephen Witt <witt@pairgain.com> writes:

> Sorry I wasn't more clear.  What I mean is that every now and then I would
> like to keep an email and file it in directory that is subject specific
> and then be able to view those msgs using gnus.  Sort of like you can
> refile msgs into different folders in mh and change to those "folders"
> to view the msgs.
>
> Is this what "foreign groups" (or at least partly) are in gnus?

You can do this sure.  You could create a foreign group with `G m'
and then file messages into this group based on subject and visit the
group with Gnus at will.  See the "Foreign Groups" section under the
"Group Buffer" menu in the Gnus manual.

@ 1997-07-17 14:44     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1997-07-17 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stephen Witt <witt@pairgain.com> writes:
> What I mean is that every now and then I would
> like to keep an email and file it in directory that is subject specific
> and then be able to view those msgs using gnus.

I've developed the habit of saving mail using C-o
(gnus-summary-save-article-mail) and then creating nneething groups
which refer to the save directory, e.g., I have a group named
"nneething+~/News/nnml/list/ding:ding".

nneething groups are set to level 6, so they never get noticed unless
I specifically ask to go into them.