* text/plain vs text/html inlining
@ 2001-12-19 11:39 Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2001-12-19 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

How do I get Gnus to expand inline text/plain MIME emails; but don't
hide the fact that it contains text/html parts?

In my .gnus.el, I now have:

    (setq mm-inline-override-types '("text/plain" "text/richtext"
        "text/html" "multipart/alternative" "application/postscript"))

but this is a bit annoying when people send MIME emails that contain
only one part, which is text/plain.  In that case, I get:

   (header:)  Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

   [1. text/plain]...

and I must enter message and press 'i'.  On 'broken emails' (messages
that contain html), I get to see:

   (header:) Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

   1.  ( ) text/plain          ( ) text/html

Which is fairly ok.  It would be better if the text/plain were
inlined, but it's more important to see that the message also contains
html.

Otoh, if I remove "text/plain" from the mm-inline-override-types, both
messages look the same, and I don't see what's going on; Gnus hides
all traces of the text/html part when I view the message.

Greetings,
Jan.

    Btw, it would be very, very nice, if gnus would have a global
    setting (or new function) to disable all kinds of magic that's now
    enabled by default (and any new magic that may be added); so that
    it would be easy to configure it as a normal, plain text email
    reader.  Here's my current list:

    ;; I want PLAIN text mail, thankyou.
    (setq mm-inline-override-types '("text/plain" "text/richtext"
        "text/html" "multipart/alternative" "application/postscript"))

    (setq gnus-treat-emphasize nil)
    (setq gnus-treat-fill-article nil)
    (setq gnus-treat-overstrike nil)
    (setq gnus-treat-dumbquotes nil)

    ;; Hmm, what's next?
    (when (equal debian-emacs-flavor 'emacs21)
      (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil))

    (setq gnus-article-wash-html nil)
    (setq gnus-article-remove-cr nil)
    (setq gnus-article-hide-signature nil)

    ;; scary?
    (setq gnus-default-posting-charset 'iso-8859-1)
    (add-to-list 'gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
             '(message-this-is-mail iso-8859-1 (iso-8859-1)))

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: text/plain vs text/html inlining
@ 2001-12-19 11:49 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-12-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I solve this with

(setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)
      mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

though I also prefer

(setq gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types nil)

so that I see buttons on everything.