* How to change Sender header?
@ 2002-01-15 11:49 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2002-01-15 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to remove "Sender" header, or change it with "From".

If sender address is different from "From" address, "Sender" header
seems to be added for some reasons.

It's usually OK, but when I try to send a mail to a closed mailing
list, some mailing list servers bounce my mail because they check
"Sender" and the "Sender" address is not subscribed.

And when replying such mail with M$-Outlook, the address on the
included part is also from "Sender" header.

I couldn't find answers from archives.

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: How to change Sender header?
@ 2002-01-15 11:54 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:
> It's usually OK, but when I try to send a mail to a closed mailing
> list, some mailing list servers bounce my mail because they check
> "Sender" and the "Sender" address is not subscribed.

Regardless of Sender's theoretical utility, in practice it's worse
than useless, because every time it comes up, another argument ensues
over the legitimate circumstances in which it is used.  This list and
g.e.g have haggled over Sender for 5 years, to no ultimate resolution.

The simplest and most direct solution is to annihilate it:

(add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))

* Re: How to change Sender header?
@ 2002-01-15 11:59 ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2002-01-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:

> I want to remove "Sender" header, or change it with "From".

;;* don't generate a Sender field
(add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))

This only works if *Gnus* is adding the Sender header, not your MTA,
of course.

HTH,
  Colin

* Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
@ 2002-01-15 12:37   ` Per Abrahamsen
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-01-15 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> This list and g.e.g have haggled over Sender for 5 years, to no
> ultimate resolution.

Last I saw it discussed, the sole remaining reason for using Sender
was that it allowed cancels to work, even if you used
gnus-posting-styles to post from different adresses.

Cancel locks was suggested as one way around that problem.

Now we have cancel locks enabled by default, we should be able to
disable sender by default as well.

Any protests?

* Re: Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
@ 2002-01-15 19:42     ` Steinar Bang
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-01-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Last I saw it discussed, the sole remaining reason for using Sender
> was that it allowed cancels to work, even if you used
> gnus-posting-styles to post from different adresses.

> Cancel locks was suggested as one way around that problem.

Cancel locks was new to me.  This is what www.google.com found:
	<http://www.landfield.com/usefor/drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-cancel-lock-01.txt>

Interesting, and certainly looks like a step forward from the old
trusting system.

Has it moved on to become an RFC?  Has it been widely implemented in
news user agents and news servers?

> Now we have cancel locks enabled by default, we should be able to
> disable sender by default as well.

> Any protests?

Not from me.

From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-01-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip!]
> The simplest and most direct solution is to annihilate it:

> (add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))

This has stopped working for me, and I have filed a bug report on it:
(will this URL work?  I wish there was a function from creating a URL
for the article you're standing in).

* Re: How to change Sender header?
@ 2002-01-15 20:01     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-15 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> [snip!]
>> The simplest and most direct solution is to annihilate it:
>
>> (add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))
>
> This has stopped working for me, and I have filed a bug report on it:

It works fine for me. Is there some special setting in your .gnus?

> (will this URL work?  I wish there was a function from creating a URL
> for the article you're standing in).

It works.

ShengHuo

* Re: Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
@ 2002-01-15 20:09       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-01-15 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Cancel locks was new to me.  This is what www.google.com found:
> 	<http://www.landfield.com/usefor/drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-cancel-lock-01.txt>
>
> Interesting, and certainly looks like a step forward from the
> old trusting system.
>
> Has it moved on to become an RFC?  Has it been widely
> implemented in news user agents and news servers?

No. No.  By implementing it, perhaps things change, but for now it
is only used as a more reliable mechanism than Sender: for
deciding if the user should be able to cancel articles.

* Re: Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Any protests?

Not from me.

* Re: How to change Sender header?
@ 2002-01-21 22:03       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-01-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> [snip!]
>>> The simplest and most direct solution is to annihilate it:

>>> (add-to-list 'message-syntax-checks '(sender . disabled))

>> This has stopped working for me, and I have filed a bug report on it:

> It works fine for me. Is there some special setting in your .gnus?

The Sender: header was only present in emails, and not in news
articles, which made me suspect the MTA (Exim 3.33).

I've put
  headers_remove = sender
in the "lookuphost" and "literal" routers in the
	/etc/exim/exim.conf
on my laptop.

That seems to make the Sender: header go away.

* Re: Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
@ 2002-02-27  8:55     ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-02-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Now we have cancel locks enabled by default, we should be able to
> disable sender by default as well.

Is this now default? I never saw a confirmation regarding
this (just a couple of non-protests).

Niklas

* Re: Make (sender . disabled) default (was: Re: How to change Sender header?)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-27  8:55     ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-02-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding