* Once again on extra headers
@ 2001-03-22  4:00 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-03-22  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've used the cool extra header code for sometime to generate NOV  and
display a "Keywords: " header like this:

     (setq gnus-extra-headers
           '(To Newsgroups Keywords))
     (setq nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

Now I want to use this same technique to generate NOV and display a
custom header `X-HP-Keywords: '.

Using the same code:

     (setq gnus-extra-headers
           '(To Newsgroups X-HP-Keywords))
     (setq nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

And regenerating NOV in that group isn't doing what I expected.  No
X-HP-Keyword header is displayed.  It isn't clear in the manual
section that covers this if this only works with certain headers or if
one can make it work on a custom header too.

There is language there that says:

  2. The value of these extra headers can be accessed via the
     `gnus-extra-header' function.  Here's a format line spec that will
     access the `X-Newsreader' header:

          "%~(form (gnus-extra-header 'X-Newsreader))@"

But I haven't had to do that for the `Keywords' to work.  Is it my
non-regulation header causing the problem or something else.

* Re: Once again on extra headers
@ 2001-03-22  9:11 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-22  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Mar 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

> And regenerating NOV in that group isn't doing what I expected.  No
> X-HP-Keyword header is displayed.

Displayed where?  Look at the .overview file on the disk -- is the
header in there?  If so, everything worked.  Even if it wasn't doing
what you expected.  (What did you expect?)

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Once again on extra headers
@ 2001-03-22 12:28 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-03-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keywords is part of gnus-visible-headers.  X-HP-Keywords is not.

The -extra-headers variables will get your new header into overviews,
but you must tweak gnus-visible-headers to get them into the article
display.

* Re: Once again on extra headers
@ 2001-03-22 14:55   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-03-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 21 Mar 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> > And regenerating NOV in that group isn't doing what I expected.  No
> > X-HP-Keyword header is displayed.
>
> Displayed where?  Look at the .overview file on the disk -- is the
> header in there?  If so, everything worked.  Even if it wasn't doing
> what you expected.

Sorry about the poor description...
I checked if they were in there before posting.  They are.

> .......  (What did you expect?)

I expected to see those headers appear on one of those long signs
being pulled across the sky by an airplane, over every major city in
the US.  But I see now that I forgot to tweak the
`gnus-generate-grandiose-header-display' ( he he )

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Keywords is part of gnus-visible-headers.  X-HP-Keywords is not.
>
> The -extra-headers variables will get your new header into overviews,
> but you must tweak gnus-visible-headers to get them into the article
> display.

Haa.  I forgot about `gnus-visible-headers'.  Now we're talking