* Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-01-30 22:30 Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-01-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some strange reason some articles in my summary buffer have status
Q and no Sender name in brackets.

My gnus-summary-line-format is :
"%U%R %4~(ignore 0)V%z %1{%3L%}: %I%[%(%-20,20n%)%] %d %3t %(%s%)"

When I press RET on such an article gnus is thrashing the disk for a
few seconds and marks that article as deleted.

Any ideas, please ...
--
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"
Suavek Zak / PGP: finger://zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl

* Re: Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-01-31  4:51 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-01-31  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slawek Zak <S.Zak@altkom.com> writes:
> For some strange reason some articles in my summary buffer have status
> Q and no Sender name in brackets.
> Any ideas, please ...

My first idea is that you should at least tell us what backend you use.

* Re: Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-01-31 10:03   ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-01-31 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 11:51:46PM -0500, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Slawek Zak <S.Zak@altkom.com> writes:
> > For some strange reason some articles in my summary buffer have status
> > Q and no Sender name in brackets.
> > Any ideas, please ...
>
> My first idea is that you should at least tell us what backend you use.

Uhm, sorry - it's nnml
--
* Suavek Zak
* email: zaks@im.pw.edu.pl   voice: +48 (0) 22 674 66 79

* Re: Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-01-31 15:28     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-01-31 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, the only use of an isolated `Q' (as would be useful for marking)
is in gnus-sum.el in the definition of gnus-sparse-mark.  That
variable is then used in gnus-build-sparse-threads and
gnus-summary-limit-to-unread.  But I can't offer any explanation for
what Gnus thinks it's doing with that mark in those functions.

Is the article in question actually missing, or is there some kind of
bookkeeping error happening in nnml?

Anyone else got a cogent view of this?

* Re: Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-01-31 18:12       ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-01-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Is the article in question actually missing, or is there some kind of
> bookkeeping error happening in nnml?

After closer investigation (guessing from Date:) they seem to be virtual
zero-line-long copies of articles coming right after them (next in
thread). They are missing in the spool.

Examples of these 'afters' in my ding group are:

My threading settings :

;; Threading
(setq
 gnus-build-sparse-threads 'some
 gnus-thread-hide-subtree t
 gnus-thread-indent-level 2)

/S

* Re: Dissappearing messages
@ 2000-02-03 19:57       ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-02-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

My previous observation on presence of "ghost" messages was
incorrect. I've found one example today of unexisting message which
was marked with Q but had other date than other messages in that
thread. It looks very strange, as I don't have any trace of this
message in the spool (header, date, anything...).
--
"Microsoft has stated that they will support a broken version of
 Kerberos 5 in NT 5.0"		--Ken Hornstein in Kerberos FAQ