From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com>
Subject: Re: drafts
Date: 07 May 2000 10:11:53 -0400	[thread overview]

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:
> 1) What's the deal with getting the extra header information? Does
>    everything get slowed down now that Gnus is parsing an extra header
>    for me, even though I only want it to for one group?

Getting the extra header info out of the article in "drafts" takes as
long as any other single header, and since there is no .overview, it
must be parsed out of the articles each time you enter.  There
shouldn't be any appreciable slowdown.

> 2) Getting that header information into the summary line is a
>    pain. Why isn't there a format spec for the To header? Why the
>    complex two-in-one spec and another regexp?

As I recall, Lars felt that %n's purpose ("from" only) was
sufficiently distinct from %f ("from, to, or newsgroups") that a
distinct specifier was in order.  I suggested making %f the default;
he declined for this reason.

> 3) I did at one stage have the new summary line format string without
>    %U in it. Deleting a draft message didn't make the normal
>    %highlighting happen. This effect of this spec is documented
>    somewhere, right?

No idea; never tried.

> 4) My format spec has to cut off the first two characters of the
>    From/To header, as it's ``->''. What's this from?

See gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups in gnus-sum.el, line 2589 in
the very latest incantation.  To better indicate that this is a
message which is going somwhere, instead of mail which came from
somewhere, the code adds "->" as a visual aid.  This is particularly
useful in mail groups where threaded discussions will be found.

Similarly, newsgroup postings get "=>" added to the group name.

> My suggestions would be to do either:
> 1) Have the drafts group do some magic and set this up as default.

That's not a bad idea, setting up local variables for the drafts group
in its group properties.

> 2) Have a paragraph in the manual describing how to do it.

The basics of this are covered in the manual...
http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/manual/gnus_50.html#IDX505
...or in the *Info* system via
`C-h i' -> Gnus -> The Summary Buffer -> Summary Buffer Format
 -> To From Newsgroups