* Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-22 17:30 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-22 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wouldn't it be nice if the gnus-delay package was enabled by default?

`gnus-delay-initialize' seem to add a key binding and a call to
`gnus-delay-send-drafts' whenever new mail is fetched (which is quick
if the nndraft:delayed group is empty), so maybe this could happen by
default, so that users don't need to explicitly enable things.

* Re: Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-22 21:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

If people like it, that's fine.  I was a bit afraid that it might
wreak havoc with something or other.  So I didn't want to enable it by
default without some indication from others that it's harmless.

If it is enabled by default, then probably the keybinding should go
where all the other keybindings are, right?

Oh, and I completely forgot to add a menu entry in message mode.

Do you think a menu entry for sending the delayed messages should be
added in the Group buffer?  Maybe that's not necessary since it
happens when checking for new news, anyway.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-22 23:01   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-22 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> If people like it, that's fine.  I was a bit afraid that it might
> wreak havoc with something or other.  So I didn't want to enable it by
> default without some indication from others that it's harmless.

But other than that, the only thing that change is a new keybinding in
message mode and a couple of lines of codes that are executed when you
fetch new mail.  If there are bugs in those few lines, I'm sure we can
find them.

(I found one bug, `gnus-delay-send-drafts' needs to handle
non-existing nndraft:delayed.  Try moving your ~/News/drafts/delayed/
directory away and watch what happens.)

> If it is enabled by default, then probably the keybinding should go
> where all the other keybindings are, right?

Yes.

> Oh, and I completely forgot to add a menu entry in message mode.

That would be nice, I guess most peoples' first encounter with this
feature would be through that menu item.

> Do you think a menu entry for sending the delayed messages should be
> added in the Group buffer?  Maybe that's not necessary since it
> happens when checking for new news, anyway.

Considering the amount of stuff in the Gnus menus, one more wouldn't
hurt, I think.  And it exposes functionality in a nice way.

* Re: Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-22 23:23   ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-09-22 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If people like it, that's fine.  I was a bit afraid that it might
> wreak havoc with something or other.  So I didn't want to enable it by
> default without some indication from others that it's harmless.

FWIW, I've had no problems.

> If it is enabled by default, then probably the keybinding should go
> where all the other keybindings are, right?
>
> Oh, and I completely forgot to add a menu entry in message mode.

Please do, the only keybinding that sticks in my mind for message mode
is C-c C-c.

Also, while we're on the subject, would you mind making the gnus-delay-*
variables customizable?

Henrik
--
Look!  A ladder!  Maybe it leads to heaven, or a sandwich!

* Re: Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-29 19:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> If people like it, that's fine.  I was a bit afraid that it might
>> wreak havoc with something or other.  So I didn't want to enable it by
>> default without some indication from others that it's harmless.
>
> But other than that, the only thing that change is a new keybinding in
> message mode and a couple of lines of codes that are executed when you
> fetch new mail.  If there are bugs in those few lines, I'm sure we can
> find them.
>
> (I found one bug, `gnus-delay-send-drafts' needs to handle
> non-existing nndraft:delayed.  Try moving your ~/News/drafts/delayed/
> directory away and watch what happens.)

Okay, I'll need to fix that first.

Ah, I think I found out how to check whether a group exists.

>> If it is enabled by default, then probably the keybinding should go
>> where all the other keybindings are, right?
>
> Yes.

Done.

>> Oh, and I completely forgot to add a menu entry in message mode.
>
> That would be nice, I guess most peoples' first encounter with this
> feature would be through that menu item.

Done.

>> Do you think a menu entry for sending the delayed messages should be
>> added in the Group buffer?  Maybe that's not necessary since it
>> happens when checking for new news, anyway.
>
> Considering the amount of stuff in the Gnus menus, one more wouldn't
> hurt, I think.  And it exposes functionality in a nice way.

Okay, will do.  [time passes]  Done.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Enabling gnus-delay by default?
@ 2001-09-29 19:08     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-29 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:

> Also, while we're on the subject, would you mind making the gnus-delay-*
> variables customizable?

Done.

kai
--

@ 2001-09-29 19:17 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-29 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Wouldn't it be nice if the gnus-delay package was enabled by default?

I think I've now covered almost everything.  The only statement that's
executed by gnus-delay-initialize which is still missing is the
following:

(add-hook 'gnus-get-new-news-hook 'gnus-delay-send-drafts)

The question is, how to do this?  Should I just invoke
gnus-delay-send-drafts in the appropriate places directly?  (Maybe
conditional on a gnus-delay variable.)  Or should the above add-hook
be put in some *.el file?  In which *.el file?

Hm.  If the above add-hook is executed, then gnus-delay.el will be
loaded pretty soon, so all this autoload stuff seems a bit like
shooting a sparrow with a cannon.¹  But on the other hand, requiring a
package is not allowed to actually do anything, so I would be
violating the coding conventions if I were to put the add-hook
statement at the top level in gnus-delay.el.

Argh.

Help!

kai

¹ I think I've asked before what is the English idiom for this...
--

@ 2001-09-30  7:38   ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-09-30  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> ¹ I think I've asked before what is the English idiom for this...

personalised (Er schiesst ...):

He breaks a fly on the wheel.

norbert.