* Q: Stop "?" and "!" moving forward?
@ 1996-02-12 13:46 John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-02-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

Is there a variable to set to stop ticking and marking articles as
dormant ("!" and "?") from moving to the next article?

I often decide I want to tick an article before I'm finished reading
it.

* Re: Q: Stop "?" and "!" moving forward?
@ 1996-02-12 16:07 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-02-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, griffith

  John> Is there a variable to set to stop ticking and marking
  John> articles as dormant ("!" and "?") from moving to the next
  John> article?

You want to execute gnus-summary-tick-article rather than
gnus-summary-tick-article-forward.  ! is by default bound to
*-forward.

Try this to change the binding:

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "!" 'gnus-summary-tick-article)

hth,
        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Q: Stop "?" and "!" moving forward?
@ 1996-02-13 10:09   ` John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-02-13 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

Kai Grossjohann writes:

>  John> Is there a variable to set to stop ticking and marking
>  John> articles as dormant ("!" and "?") from moving to the next
>  John> article?
>
>You want to execute gnus-summary-tick-article rather than
>gnus-summary-tick-article-forward.  ! is by default bound to
>*-forward.
>
>Try this to change the binding:
>
>(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "!" 'gnus-summary-tick-article)

This almost works except that gnus-summary-tick-article is not
interactive so I get the error
   "Wrong type argument: commandp, gnus-summary-tick-article"

So shouldn't gnus-summary-tick-article be interactive like *-forward
and *-backward?  Otherwise I have to write something like

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "!"
  (lambda (n) (interactive "p") (gnus-summary-tick-article)))

Also, for dormant articles, there is only one command,
gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant.  Maybe there should also be
gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant-forward and
gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant-backward, with *-forward as the default
for "?".

I was also thinking that if the non-movement versions of these
commands were given numerical arguments, it would be nice if the next
n articles were marked, but the current article stayed the same.
Here's as near as I could come up with for dormant articles on short
notice.  (I hope it doesn't make anyone feel sick)

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "?"
  (lambda (n) (interactive "p")
    (progn
      (gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant n)
      (previous-line n))))

I'm sure that using previous-line here is a bad idea but I'm not sure
what's the correct function.

* Re: Q: Stop "?" and "!" moving forward?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-13 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> So shouldn't gnus-summary-tick-article be interactive like *-forward
> and *-backward?  Otherwise I have to write something like

I've now made that function interactive.

> I was also thinking that if the non-movement versions of these
> commands were given numerical arguments, it would be nice if the next
> n articles were marked, but the current article stayed the same.
> Here's as near as I could come up with for dormant articles on short
> notice.  (I hope it doesn't make anyone feel sick)
>
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "?"
>   (lambda (n) (interactive "p")
>     (progn
>       (gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant n)
>       (previous-line n))))

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "?"
  (lambda (n) (interactive "p")
    (save-excursion
      (gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant n))))

will do the trick.  Perhaps you could put lots on non-moving ticking
commands (like this) on `M-C-?', `M-C-u', `M-C-d' (or wherever)?  I
don't feel that things like this should go into the distribution,
though.