* Confused about g-d-adaptive-score-alist manual description
@ 1996-02-17 11:57 John Griffith
From: John Griffith @ 1996-02-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: griffith

The manual gives the following example:

     (defvar gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
       '((gnus-unread-mark)
         (gnus-ticked-mark (from 4))
         (gnus-dormant-mark (from 5))
         (gnus-del-mark (from -4) (subject -1))
         (gnus-read-mark (from 4) (subject 2))
         (gnus-expirable-mark (from -1) (subject -1))
         (gnus-killed-mark (from -1) (subject -3))
         (gnus-kill-file-mark)
         (gnus-catchup-mark (from -1) (subject -1))))

As you see, each element in this alist has a mark as a key (either a
variable name or a "real" mark--a character).  Following this key is a
random number of header/score pairs.

What does a element of this list do if has NO header/score pairs?  For
instance, what does `(gnus-unread-mark)' do?  This does not seem to be
addressed.

Also, other questions include:

  1) If more than one element applies to an article, are all
     header/score pairs used? (I assume they are).  For instance, if
     an article is both read and marked dormant will the author get
     raised 4+5 = 9 points?

  2) If several messages have the same subject (or the same author)
     will the scoring rules be applied multiple times?  For instance,
     if there are 26 articles in some thread which I didn't read but
     catchup'd, would that subject be decreased by -1 or -26 points?

  3) A list of all (reasonable) marks would be useful too.

* Re: Confused about g-d-adaptive-score-alist manual description
@ 1996-02-17 14:21 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Griffith <griffith@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> What does a element of this list do if has NO header/score pairs?  For
> instance, what does `(gnus-unread-mark)' do?

Nothing, basically.  :-)

>   1) If more than one element applies to an article, are all
>      header/score pairs used? (I assume they are).  For instance, if
>      an article is both read and marked dormant will the author get
>      raised 4+5 = 9 points?

Each article can have just a single readedness mark, so just a single
rule is applied to each article.

>   2) If several messages have the same subject (or the same author)
>      will the scoring rules be applied multiple times?  For instance,
>      if there are 26 articles in some thread which I didn't read but
>      catchup'd, would that subject be decreased by -1 or -26 points?

-26.

>   3) A list of all (reasonable) marks would be useful too.

The marks in the example are all the marks that I would consider being
interesting to score on.

I've now added a couple more paragraphs to that section of the
manual.