* movemail query or POP3 package
@ 1996-02-28 11:58 d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-02-28 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
                       ``Welcome to slavery!''
               ``No thanks.  I've already had a wife.''

                                ~ from dusk till dawn

* Re: movemail query or POP3 package
@ 1996-02-29  8:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

dhall@illusion.apk.net (d. hall) writes:

> I know emacs has movemail for this capibility, but does movemail support
> the likelihood that the POP3 server requires user-authentication?

Yes, but no.

`pop_open' in pop.c has this definition:

popserver pop_open (host, username, password, flags)

So it does allow specifying password and stuff.  However, this
function is called from `movemail' in movemail.c thusly:

  server = pop_open (0, user, 0, POP_NO_GETPASS);

So one can't specify that `movemail' should prompt for a password when
fetching mail from the POP server.  This seems like a bug to me, so
I'd suggest someone fixing this and mailing the fix off to Stallman.