* sorting within a topic?
@ 1996-01-23 14:08 Baba Z Buehler
From: Baba Z Buehler @ 1996-01-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to sort the groups within a topic?

thx,
--
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'
# Beckman Institute Systems Services, Urbana Illinois

* Re: sorting within a topic?
@ 1996-01-25 20:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baba Z Buehler <baba@beckman.uiuc.edu> writes:

> Is there any way to sort the groups within a topic?

There's no sorting command per se, but you can kill and yank
manually.

* Re: sorting within a topic?
@ 1996-01-25 21:45   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-01-25 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

|> Baba Z Buehler <baba@beckman.uiuc.edu> writes:
|>
|> > Is there any way to sort the groups within a topic?
|>
|> There's no sorting command per se, but you can kill and yank
|> manually.

I thought that something along the lines of:

(setq gnus-group-sort-function 'gnus-group-sort-by-rank)

Was supposed to sort within topics?  No?  Might explain why its not
doing anything for me :-)

* Re: sorting within a topic?
@ 1996-01-26  2:09   ` d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-01-26  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: sorting within a topic?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I thought that something along the lines of:
>
> (setq gnus-group-sort-function 'gnus-group-sort-by-rank)
>
> Was supposed to sort within topics?  No?  Might explain why its not
> doing anything for me :-)

:-)  I hadn't thought about sorting groups inside topics.  It's
trivial to do, but it requires writing all the group sorting functions
anew.  Perhaps in Red Gnus.

* Re: sorting within a topic?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

dhall@apk.net (d. hall) writes:

> unfortunately killing and yanking screws up the topic map.  you'll have to
> re-topic the group so it gets shoved to the end of that topic list.  if
> not, the over all topic list gets very messy and what you thought was in
> one topic ends up in the misc topic.

I think killing and yanking works as advertised in September 0.32.

* Re: sorting within a topic?
@ 1996-01-26 17:42       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-01-26 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

|> :-)  I hadn't thought about sorting groups inside topics.  It's
|> trivial to do, but it requires writing all the group sorting functions
|> anew.  Perhaps in Red Gnus.

I'm beginning to like this feature freeze less and less.  :-(

Of course, I also want all the current bugs out as well.  I found a
new one today (or...  rather finally traced it to the proper source).
For the past X revisions, when I post an article it has always hung
until I finally get so annoyed that I hit ctrl-g.  It turns out that
ctrl-c ctrl-c was trying to call sendmail.  If I put a C-u 0 in front
of it it prompts for the send method, which I can then fill in as the
default 'news.ucdavis.edu (nntp)' or whatever it is.  (strangely
enough, it was actually getting caught in
'gnus-score-followup-article).  After removing that hook, it died in
'send-mail-and-exit' looking for '^-------\n'.

Wes