* Can the tree show the _whole_ thread?
@ 1996-02-01  3:42 Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-02-01  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

My belief is that the summary buffer should show a good bit of info about
the articles of interest, the tree buffer shows the big picture with less
detail, and the article buffer shows everything about just one message. So
I sort of expected the tree display to show the entire thread, including
old articles and sparse nodes and everything.  I tried playing with
gnus-fetch-old-headers and gnus-make-sparse-threads and can get old and
sparse articles to show up in the summary buffer but the tree buffer shows
only the new articles and whatever sparse nodes are required to connect
them (as it always does).

What I'm really trying to get is a summary buffer with no extraneous
information (no O or Q lines) but a tree buffer with a picture of
everything back to the root article, preferably with old articles shown
like sparse articles, but with useful info instead of ***.  For example,

I get this:               I want this:

{***}                     (***)
  |--\-----\		    |--\-----\
[Ste] [Mar] [Per]	  (Bla) (***) (Ste)
               		    |     |     |
                   	  (Mar) (Urk) [Per]
   			    |     |
     			  (Joe) [Ste]

                	  [Mar]

And a summary buffer that just looks like:

  +[ 106: Steven L. Baur      ] Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail
  +    <  82: Mark Borges         >
  +    <  24: Per Abrahamsen      >

I.e. I can see the whole conversation, but some of the articles are old
(like "(Bla)" and "(Urk)") or have expired (like the root) and the summary
buffer is really simple.  Is this possible?  Somehow I think it's not,
given that both buffers work from the same information and the summary
buffer always displays everything in the list of threads.  Perhaps for Red
Gnus?

 - J<

* Re: Can the tree show the _whole_ thread?
@ 1996-02-01 18:48 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@uh.edu> writes:

> I.e. I can see the whole conversation, but some of the articles are old
> (like "(Bla)" and "(Urk)") or have expired (like the root) and the summary
> buffer is really simple.  Is this possible?  Somehow I think it's not,
> given that both buffers work from the same information and the summary
> buffer always displays everything in the list of threads.  Perhaps for Red
> Gnus?

You're right that it isn't currently possible, but all that needs to
be done is having the tree generation functions ignore
`gnus-newsgroup-limit', which is the variable that says what articles
should be visible.  I've added this to the Red Gnus todo list.