* Re: losing nnml .overview files
@ 1996-02-15 17:39 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-02-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I thought I had already sent this, but it's in my drafts folder and I don't
 remember seeing it on the list.]

I have a serious problem, my .overview files have started disappearing.
I first got frightened when I saw lots of ``(new file)'' messages when
getting new mail.  I'm now forced to run nnml-generate-overview-databases
several times per session.

I think this problem appeared somewhat recently -- I'm using 0.37 --
I don't think it was happening with 0.34.
I can't figure out what conditions cause the .overview files to get trashed.
(Possibly expiry? I'm using total-expire)
I'm wondering if anyone else sees this behaviour.

greg

* Re: losing nnml .overview files
@ 1996-02-15 21:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> I have a serious problem, my .overview files have started disappearing.

Whoo!

> I can't figure out what conditions cause the .overview files to get trashed.
> (Possibly expiry? I'm using total-expire)

I've never seen that behavior.  The only function that could delete
.overview files is `nnml-generate-nov-file'.  I couldn't find any
other function that attempts to delete those files.  So I have no idea
what's going on here.

* Re: losing nnml .overview files
@ 1996-02-19 21:42   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-02-19 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I have a serious problem, my .overview files have started disappearing.

hmm, the problem seems to have gone away, i think the only thing that changed
was my fixing a hook that was globally setting auto-save-visited-file-name to
T.  Is it possible something is trying to clean up by removing any auto-save
files? I can't find any place in the code where such a thing might be
happening, but maybe you'll know what's going on.

greg

* Re: losing nnml .overview files
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Greg Stark) writes:

> hmm, the problem seems to have gone away, i think the only thing that changed
> was my fixing a hook that was globally setting auto-save-visited-file-name to
> T.  Is it possible something is trying to clean up by removing any auto-save
> files? I can't find any place in the code where such a thing might be
> happening, but maybe you'll know what's going on.

No, I don't see why that should affect anything, really.  Hmn.  nnml
uses `find-file-noselect' to load the .overview files, and
`write-region' to save those files.  Is that a bad idea?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen