* [sgnus-v0.38] number of articles bug?
@ 1996-02-11 19:24 Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-02-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may or may not be a bug, I'm not sure.

When I do `C-u SPACE' on a mail group I see this:

   How many articles from nnml:lists.xemacs (default 794):

But after I enter the mail group and go to the end of the buffer and
press `C-x l' I see this:

   Page has 390 lines (390 + 0)

I have an expiry function for this group, so the number of articles
available is not the same as the number of articles fetched.

Are the two supposed to agree in this case?

  -mb-

* Re: [sgnus-v0.38] number of articles bug?
@ 1996-02-12  6:31 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-12  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:

> When I do `C-u SPACE' on a mail group I see this:
>
>    How many articles from nnml:lists.xemacs (default 794):
>
> But after I enter the mail group and go to the end of the buffer and
> press `C-x l' I see this:
>
>    Page has 390 lines (390 + 0)
>
> I have an expiry function for this group, so the number of articles
> available is not the same as the number of articles fetched.
>
> Are the two supposed to agree in this case?

No.  The number you get when entering a group is MAX-ARTICLE less
MIN-ARTICLE.  This is usually a much bigger number than the actual
number of articles in the group, since lots of articles usually are
expired/deleted -- especially in mail groups.  This will probably be
less confusing in Red Gnus.

Perhaps this should be added to the FAQ list?