* Re: Design of the manual
       [not found] ` <199601271438.JAA03872@gemini.ryerson.ca>
@ 1996-01-27 14:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-27 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

elf@ee.ryerson.ca (luis fernandes) writes:

>     > So -- do you have any ideas on how the manual should look?
>
> Let's just keep the tradition of you doing something and then
> everybody criticizes^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, err..., makes helpful
> suggestions on what it should really look like.

:-)  I've now changed the type face to Adobe bembo, done the huge logo
on the front, and put a teeny tiny version of the same on the foot of
each page.  Just to get a feeling for how one could possibly do
things.  I'll put two PostScript versions on the Gnus web page, one in
a4 and one in "letterpaper" size, which should be the US standard
size, I think.

>     > And the XEmacs Gnus icons should be worked into the manual...
>
> ...a big gnu on the cover...an upsidedown one on the back cover with
> the caption "You started reading this on the wrong end".

:-)

>     > Hm.  I know nothing about design, but I know that I don't like
>     > the default texinfo look.
>
> But lets not get too radical; it's preferable that the Gnu docs have a
> consistent look (if not feel) to them.

Yup.  But I've never seen an actual real, live GNU doc.  Do they
really look like what comes out of the printer after doing a texi2dvi?
No embellishments?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Design of the manual
       [not found] <199601260925.1888.aegir.ifi.uio.no@ifi.uio.no>
@ 1996-01-27 14:39 ` luis fernandes
       [not found] ` <199601271438.JAA03872@gemini.ryerson.ca>
From: luis fernandes @ 1996-01-27 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > So -- do you have any ideas on how the manual should look?

Let's just keep the tradition of you doing something and then
everybody criticizes^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, err..., makes helpful
suggestions on what it should really look like.

    > And the XEmacs Gnus icons should be worked into the manual...

...a big gnu on the cover...an upsidedown one on the back cover with
the caption "You started reading this on the wrong end".

    > Hm.  I know nothing about design, but I know that I don't like
    > the default texinfo look.

But lets not get too radical; it's preferable that the Gnu docs have a
consistent look (if not feel) to them.

Re. the tshirts, I'd buy one. After all, how many artists can lay
claim of wearing their own artwork?