* Question about nnml
@ 2003-02-28  0:19 Julien Avarre
From: Julien Avarre @ 2003-02-28  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi every one !

I was just wandering what was the numerous files named IncomingXXXXX in my
~/Mail directory ?

Can someone explain what are they and if can I delete them ?

Is it possible to compress my old emails and still browse them with
Gnus ?

Thank you.

--
Julien ``Eole'' Avarre
julien@avarre.com

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Question about nnml
@ 2003-02-28  2:10 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2003-02-28  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Julien Avarre <julien@avarre.com> writes:

> I was just wandering what was the numerous files named IncomingXXXXX in my
> ~/Mail directory ?
>
> Can someone explain what are they and if can I delete them ?

They are backups of incoming mail, as you are running a bleeding-edge
version of gnus.  It is safe to delete them eventually, if you are
reasonably certain you are not losing mail with your bleeding-edge
version of gnus.

You can turn off the creation of backups by

(setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

> Is it possible to compress my old emails and still browse them with
> Gnus ?

Yes, this is covered in the gnus FAQ:

    Q4.12 Compressed mail files Piotr Pogorzelski
    <piotr.pogorzelski@ippt.gov.pl> writes:  Is it possible to have
    nnml files compressed on disk and decompress them on-the-fly for
    reading ?

    Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@trym.ifi.uio.no> replies:
    Yes. Just gzip the files. You'll need to say `(require
    'jka-compr)' in your .emacs, though.

    Note: this only works in Red Gnus (Gnus 5.4) and later.
--
Benjamin