* adding ssh nntp rlogin creates new server
@ 2000-05-01 19:20 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to read and post news from the news server I can reach
from work (news.eunet.no), using a cable modem connection from a
different ISP.

However, if I change

(setq gnus-select-method
    '(nntp "news.eunet.no"))

(setq gnus-select-method
    '(nntp "news.eunet.no"
           (nntp-address "somemachine.metis.no")
           (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
           (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
           (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
           (nntp-rlogin-parameters
            ("-x" "-C" "telnet" "news.eunet.no" "nntp"))))

it looks like this creates a news NNTP server, because when I start
Gnus with Gnus unplugged, I get the message
	nntp (news.eunet.no) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)
in the minibuffer.

If I press `y' in response to this message, Gnus starts up in
unplugged mode, with all agentized NNTP groups disabled *Group*.

(I was able to post some articles from the nndraft:queue
folder, by using
	J S
so something in the nntp-rlogin stuff is working)

Is there a way to move to this selection method and preserve the
current nntp groups in Gnus?

Over time I plan to move to the cable modem ISPs news server (possibly
accessed through ssh on my gateway machine), but for now I would just
like to get this working so that I can read news over the cable modem
connection instead of over the phone line.

* Re: adding ssh nntp rlogin creates new server
@ 2000-08-10 21:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> However, if I change
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>     '(nntp "news.eunet.no"))

> (setq gnus-select-method
>     '(nntp "news.eunet.no"
>            (nntp-address "somemachine.metis.no")
>            (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
>            (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
>            (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
>            (nntp-rlogin-parameters
>             ("-x" "-C" "telnet" "news.eunet.no" "nntp"))))
>
> it looks like this creates a news NNTP server, because when I start
> Gnus with Gnus unplugged, I get the message
> 	nntp (news.eunet.no) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)
> in the minibuffer.

Go to the server buffer and add the "new" server to the agent as well.

* Re: adding ssh nntp rlogin creates new server
@ 2000-08-12  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-08-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Go to the server buffer and add the "new" server to the agent as well.

One thing I would like to figure out is where all these servers that
keep appearing are coming from.

If I understood that I might be able to work around all the strange
stuff that happens when Gnus is unable to contact one of the servers
of gnus-secondary-select-methods.

Unfortunately my lisp knowledge is sorely lacking.

Oh well!