From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Subject: repost and message-ID
Date: 18 Jul 1997 14:27:34 +0200	[thread overview]

What's the rationale for Gnus giving a new message-ID for reposted
articles, that has not otherwise changed?

The reason I'm asking, is that I have recently been operation a
foreign group, for a group that already exists on the native NNTP
server.

When posting, I have occasionally forgotten to do
	C-u 1 C-c C-c
and instead done just
	C-c C-c

I've then picked up the "*sent followup..." buffer, and done
	C-u 1 C-c C-c

Gnus has then asked me two times, if I really want to repost it, and
then posted it to the foreign server.

Now the problem was that the native server had picked them up, and
when it came back online, it promptly posted the old articles, that I
thought would be discarded on having the same message ids, as those
posted on the foreign server.

A few came in up to 4 copies, from when I was experimenting with how
to make postings on the foreign group, go to the foreign server.

- Steinar