* nnimap won't agentize...
@ 2000-03-03 19:37 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-03 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I changed gnus-secondary-select-methods to look like this:
	(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
	      '((nnml "")
		(nnimap "tyr.metis.no"
			(nnimap-list-pattern
			 ("INBOX"
			  ("imap/" . "*"))))))
the duplicate nnimap servers in the server buffer went away.

However, I still haven't been able to agentize nnimap.  I did a
	J a
on the nnimap server in the server buffer, but this didn't seem to
help.

When I try to access a nnimap group with the machine physically
disconnected from the network, I get messages like:
	nnimap+imap.metis.no:imap/metis.sysadm error: No such group: imap/metis.sysadm

And when I start up with gnus-unplugged, I get the message
	Cannot read partial active file from nnimap server.
and the nnimap groups show up disabled.

When I try to do a
	J a
again on the nnimap server in the server buffer, I get the message
	Server already in the agent program
so presumably it is registered.

Any hints and tips appreciated!

Thanx!

* Re: nnimap won't agentize...
@ 2000-03-04 10:42 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip! nnimap agent problems]

Further information:
 - I started a new xemacs process and started gnus-unplugged in this
   process
 - I connected to the net, toggled Gnus over to plugged, and updated
   the nnimap groups, and then took
	J u
   over the ones that had new unread articles
 - I disconnected from the net, and tried to toggle Gnus to be
   unplugged.  Gnus got stuck with nothing happening
 - C-g was able to unstuck it, but Gnus was still in the plugged state.
   I tried toggling to unplugged two more times with the same
   behaviour
 - I entered the server buffer and removed the nnimap server from the
   agent control with
	J r
 - Then I was able to toggle Gnus into Unplugged
 - I reentered the server buffer and added the nnimap server to agent
   handling with
	J a
 - Now I was able to enter the agentized nnimap groups in a
  disconnected state
 - I am also able to toggle Gnus between plugged and unplugged

So right now it works, but it remains to be seen how well it works the
next time I go online and then disconnects.

I guess it is stuff like this people have been thinking of when they
have been talking about "nnimap agent flakiness"...? :-)

* Re: nnimap won't agentize...
@ 2000-03-04 11:07   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [snip! nnimap agent problems]

> Further information:
[snip! nnimap agent unplugged toggle problems]

> So right now it works, but it remains to be seen how well it works the
> next time I go online and then disconnects.

I had the same behaviour:

The
	J j
command didn't toggle Gnus over into unplugged.  I aborted with C-g,
removed the nnimap server from the agent in the server buffer, with
	J r
toggled Gnus over in unplugged with
	J j
reentered the server buffer, and added the nnimap to agent handling
with
	J a

This works after a fashion, but is clumsy.  All hints and tips as to
how to streamline it, is appreciated.

Thanx!

* Re: nnimap won't agentize...
@ 2000-03-04 18:54     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> [snip! nnimap agent problems]

>> Further information:
> [snip! nnimap agent unplugged toggle problems]

>> So right now it works, but it remains to be seen how well it works the
>> next time I go online and then disconnects.

> I had the same behaviour:

> The
> 	J j
> command didn't toggle Gnus over into unplugged.  I aborted with C-g,
> removed the nnimap server from the agent in the server buffer, with
> 	J r
> toggled Gnus over in unplugged with
> 	J j
> reentered the server buffer, and added the nnimap to agent handling
> with
> 	J a

One more datapoint here: if I toggled Gnus over to unplugged before
disconnecting from the network, it worked without hanging.

* Re: nnimap won't agentize...
@ 2000-03-04 20:44       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-04 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> [snip! nnimap agent problems]

>>> Further information:
>> [snip! nnimap agent unplugged toggle problems]

>>> So right now it works, but it remains to be seen how well it works the
>>> next time I go online and then disconnects.

>> I had the same behaviour:

>> The
>> 	J j
>> command didn't toggle Gnus over into unplugged.  I aborted with C-g,
>> removed the nnimap server from the agent in the server buffer, with
>> 	J r
>> toggled Gnus over in unplugged with
>> 	J j
>> reentered the server buffer, and added the nnimap to agent handling
>> with
>> 	J a

> One more datapoint here: if I toggled Gnus over to unplugged before
> disconnecting from the network, it worked without hanging.

Yet another datapoint: I am prompted for username and password the
first time I'm doing a
after toggling to "plugged".