From: posting-list@mailAndnews.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs)
Subject: Re: Unable to access nndraft:drafts in recent version of Gnus
Date: 18 Oct 2000 17:46:42 +0300	[thread overview]

* 2000-10-01 Matthias Wiehl <mwiehl@gmx.de> list.emacs-ding
| Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
|
| > With the new CVS version, my "nndraft:drafts" group shows up with an
| > asterisk at its left and I cannot access it.  I cannot see any drafts
| > that go into that group.
|
| You will have to byte-compile Gnus in order to make your drafts group
| work properly again.  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
|
| ,----[ <m3r97xhrp6.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org> ]
| | Gnus has a pretty deep Lisp eval depth (lots of macros that create
| | lexical environments (ahem)), and when running Gnus uncompiled, the
| | default Emacs max-lisp-eval-depth is exceeded, which makes Gnus bug
| | out.  However, there's an ignore-error around the group activation
| | calls, which makes Gnus ignore the bugout, leading Gnus just to ignore
| | those groups.

This is unfortunate, it should at least pause and give a message,
not just ignore the errors.

The compiled versions are not usually good for developers, because you
can't get a decent backtrace and understand what went wrong. Then there
is issue of running the same code with XEmacs and Emacs, which requires
non-compiled versions.

In case anyone is interested here is what I currently use for
non-compiled gnus. I think Gnus should autocheck if the
'nndraft-request-group is ok, (it is set to 'ignore in case of
error) so that users wouldn't need the code below.

Jari

(defadvice gnus-topic-read-group (before my-gnus-fix-nndraft act)
  "Fix broken nndraft."
  (when (eq 'ignore (symbol-function 'nndraft-request-group))
    (my-gnus-nndraft-fix)))

(defun my-gnus-nndraft-fix  ()
  "Bug in my gnus that prevent accessing nndraft.
Define function `nndaft-request-group'."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((function          'nndraft-request-group)
         (call-function     'nnoo-parent-function)
         (backend           'nndraft)
         (this-function     'nnmh-request-group)
         )

    ;; nndraft.el
    ;; (defvoo nndraft-directory (nnheader-concat gnus-directory "drafts/"))

    (unless (stringp nndraft-directory)
      (setq nndraft-directory (nnheader-concat gnus-directory "drafts/")))

    (eval `(deffoo ,function (&rest args)
             (,call-function ',backend ',this-function args)))
    ))