From: Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Subject: Re: Downloading articles into the agent
Date: 27 May 1997 15:54:40 -0500	[thread overview]

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> And that last bit is the problem.  We don't want to use the normal
> scoring mechanism here, because reading score and downloading scores
> should be separate things.  Besides, doing proper scoring (for each
> group) when downloading will be much too slow.  So.
>
> I guess I can hack up the score functions to work when a summary
> buffer isn't actually being generated.  (It'll only be possible to
> score on the NOV headers, though.)

I'm not entirely sure that I see the need for a distinction.  I used
Forte Agent for over a year before switching to Gnus (and still use it
for some purposes), and my strategy was always to connect and grab
headers, disconnect and mark them, then reconnect to get the bodies.

What I'd hope to see in an agent mode for Gnus would be normal scoring
on at least the NOV information and pre-marking everything scoring
higher than N in a newgroup, then showing the summary buffer so that I
could make adjustments in what actually gets downloaded.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.