* Double mail download, v5.8.4
@ 2000-04-21 20:04 Thomas Hippensteele
From: Thomas Hippensteele @ 2000-04-21 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

This morning I made some changes on how I download mail, and now Gnus
insists on writing all my Pop mail to the crashbox instead of my
nnmail folders.  Probably a configuration problem.

The changes:  I now use Rmail, managed with Epop3mail, to download
mail from the company mail server to Emacs at home.  Gnus is now only
for my personal account.

Now, suddenly, when I start Gnus it writes all of my mail to the
crashbox.  I have to restart it to get the mail from there to the
nnmail folders.

Configuration from .gnus follows:
-------------------
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "my.news.server"))

(setq user-mail-address "me@network.name")

(load-library "smtpmail")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "my.mail.server")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "my.mail.server")

(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "my.mail.server")))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "mail.SENT")
(setq gnus-large-newsgroup nil)

(setq nnml-spool-file "po:me@network.name")

(setq mail-sources
	'((pop :server "my.mail.server"
			:user "me"
			:password "mypassword")))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
'(
	("mail.DingList" ".*ding@.*")
	("mail.JDE" ".*JDE.*")
(etc.,etc.,etc.,)
------------------

Anyone have an idea what could be going wrong?

Thanks,

--
Tom Hippensteele

* Re: Double mail download, v5.8.4
@ 2000-04-21 20:45 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-21 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas> Hello.

Thomas> This morning I made some changes on how I download mail, and
Thomas> now Gnus insists on writing all my Pop mail to the crashbox
Thomas> instead of my nnmail folders.  Probably a configuration
Thomas> problem.

Thomas> The changes: I now use Rmail, managed with Epop3mail, to
Thomas> download mail from the company mail server to Emacs at home.
Thomas> Gnus is now only for my personal account.

Thomas> Now, suddenly, when I start Gnus it writes all of my mail to
Thomas> the crashbox.  I have to restart it to get the mail from there
Thomas> to the nnmail folders.

What is the name of the crashbox?  By default, it should be the value
of mail-source-crash-box ("~/.emacs-mail-crash-box").  Are you sure
there is no error message after downloading? What is the value of
nnml-get-new-mail?

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Double mail download, v5.8.4
@ 2000-04-21 21:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Thomas Hippensteele <thippen@aloha.net> writes:

> (setq nnml-spool-file "po:me@network.name")

Does it help if you comment out this line?  First, the variable is
deprecated, and secondly the value is wrong (unless your POP server
login name really has an @ sign in it).

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Double mail download, v5.8.4
@ 2000-04-21 22:12   ` Thomas Hippensteele
From: Thomas Hippensteele @ 2000-04-21 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Thomas Hippensteele <thippen@aloha.net> writes:

    >> (setq nnml-spool-file "po:me@network.name")

    Kai> Does it help if you comment out this line?  First, the
    Kai> variable is deprecated, and secondly the value is wrong
    Kai> (unless your POP server login name really has an @ sign in
    Kai> it).

Thanks, Kai, but I tried both commenting out that line, and taking off
the "@server.name", but it didn't change anything.

By the way, if I remember right, our ISP's PPP server likes
@server.name included with the login.  I think you're correct, though,
that the POP server would have balked had that login ever been sent.

--

@ 2000-04-22 20:48 ` Thomas Hippensteele
From: Thomas Hippensteele @ 2000-04-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

This problem seems to be solved; I had forgotten that epop3mail uses a
customized version of pop3.el, and the custom version is loaded for Gnus,
even though I'm using epop3 only for rmail.

Sorry for the trouble.

--

@ 2000-04-21 21:38 Thomas Hippensteele
From: Thomas Hippensteele @ 2000-04-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Shenghuo; thanks for the fast reply.

    Thomas> Now, suddenly, when I start Gnus it writes all of my mail
    Thomas> to the crashbox.  I have to restart it to get the mail
    Thomas> from there to the nnmail folders.

    ZSH> What is the name of the crashbox?  By default, it should be
    ZSH> the value of mail-source-crash-box
    ZSH> ("~/.emacs-mail-crash-box").

Yes, this is the crashbox it goes to.

    ZSH> Are you sure there is no error
    ZSH> message after downloading?

None go to the status buffer, and I don't see any Messages.

    ZSH>  What is the value of
    ZSH> nnml-get-new-mail?

It is true.

Here are some Messages and Traces:

---------------------------

Messages, 1st time:

Reading active file from news.aloha.net via nntp...
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...
nnml: Reading incoming mail from pop...
Retrieving message 1 of 3 from mail.aloha.net...
Wrote c:/usr/home/.emacs-mail-crash-box
Retrieving message 2 of 3 from mail.aloha.net...
Wrote c:/usr/home/.emacs-mail-crash-box
Retrieving message 3 of 3 from mail.aloha.net...
Wrote c:/usr/home/.emacs-mail-crash-box
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...

;;;;;;;;Trace of POP session, 1st time:

+OK QPOP (version 3.0b22) at leka.aloha.net starting.
+OK Password required for thippen.
+OK thippen has 3 messages (7630 octets).
+OK 3 7630
+OK Message follows
.
+OK Message 1 has been deleted.
+OK Message follows
.
+OK Message 2 has been deleted.
+OK Message follows
.
+OK Message 3 has been deleted.
+OK Pop server at leka.aloha.net signing off.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Messages, 2nd time:

Checking new news...done
Mark set [2 times]
Reading active file from news.aloha.net via nntp...
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...
nnml: Reading incoming mail from pop...
Processing mail from ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box...
Wrote c:/usr/home/Mail/mail/DingList/4085
Wrote c:/usr/home/Mail/mail/DingList/4086
Wrote c:/usr/home/Mail/mail/DingList/4087
nnml: Reading incoming mail (3 new)...done
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...
Reading active file from mail.aloha.net via nnml...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...

Checking new news...done

;;;;;;;;Trace of Pop session, 2nd time: