* Webmail and keeping up w/ changes in HTML
@ 2000-04-25 13:34 Chris D.Halverson
From: Chris D.Halverson @ 2000-04-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

How does one keep up w/ the ever changing HTML for things like Yahoo!
mail? Basically, I was doing my regular "let's go through the manual
and see what other features I'm missing" and noticed the webmail so I
decided to try it out (which has probably been there for a year or so
:). I have:

(setq mail-sources  '((directory :path "/home/cdh/.incoming/"
                                 :suffix ".spool")
                      (webmail :subtype 'yahoo
                               :user "chrisdhal")))

This appears to work, however I have been having problems due to
changes in the HTML.

I can live without it, but it would be Really Cool(TM) if this
worked. How does one keep up w/ this? I know this has been an issue w/
the Deja searching and such. I'm using 5.8.5.

Thanks!

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

* Re: Webmail and keeping up w/ changes in HTML
@ 2000-04-26  1:26 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

cdh> How does one keep up w/ the ever changing HTML for things like
cdh> Yahoo!  mail? Basically, I was doing my regular "let's go through
cdh> the manual and see what other features I'm missing" and noticed
cdh> the webmail so I decided to try it out (which has probably been
cdh> there for a year or so :). I have:

cdh> (setq mail-sources  '((directory :path "/home/cdh/.incoming/"
cdh>                                  :suffix ".spool")
cdh>                       (webmail :subtype 'yahoo
cdh>                                :user "chrisdhal")))

cdh> This appears to work, however I have been having problems due to
cdh> changes in the HTML.

cdh> I can live without it, but it would be Really Cool(TM) if this
cdh> worked. How does one keep up w/ this? I know this has been an
cdh> issue w/ the Deja searching and such. I'm using 5.8.5.

Fixed.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Webmail and keeping up w/ changes in HTML
@ 2000-04-26  5:04 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 2000-04-26  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

cdh> How does one keep up w/ the ever changing HTML for things like Yahoo!\x01
cdh> mail?

I don't know about webmail in general, but can you just use the regular ole
POP feature for your Yahoo! mail?  I have been using it with no problem for
a few months now:
(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.mail.yahoo.com"
           	      :user "JackVinson"
           	      )
                     ))

--
JackVinson@Yahoo.com
Bart: I will not expose the ignorance of the faculty.

* Re: Webmail and keeping up w/ changes in HTML
@ 2000-04-26  5:13   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-26  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

cdh> How does one keep up w/ the ever changing HTML for things like Yahoo!\x01
cdh> mail?

JV> I don't know about webmail in general, but can you just use the regular ole
JV> POP feature for your Yahoo! mail?  I have been using it with no problem for
JV> a few months now:
JV> (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.mail.yahoo.com"
JV>            	      :user "JackVinson"
JV>            	      )
JV>                      ))

This is the reason that I planned not to support Yahoo! mail in
webmail.  Is there any reason that I should continue to support it?

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Webmail and keeping up w/ changes in HTML
@ 2000-04-26 13:08   ` Chris D.Halverson
From: Chris D.Halverson @ 2000-04-26 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Vinson <JackVinson@yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't know about webmail in general, but can you just use the regular ole
> POP feature for your Yahoo! mail?  I have been using it with no problem for
> a few months now:
> (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.mail.yahoo.com"
>            	      :user "JackVinson"
>            	      )
>                      ))

Wow. This is great! Thanks for the pointer, I'll just use that from
now on.

cdh

--

@ 2000-04-26 13:12     ` Chris D.Halverson
From: Chris D.Halverson @ 2000-04-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> This is the reason that I planned not to support Yahoo! mail in
> webmail.  Is there any reason that I should continue to support it?

I would guess not. I would, however, suggest putting that in the docs
or something. I would consider myself an experienced Gnus user (back
to at least September Gnus) and I still stumble across new features. I
don't use Hotmail or any of the other webmail ones, but I do use
Yahoo! therefore I immediately associated Yahoo! w/ webmail
(especially because it's listed there :). Maybe just put some wording
in the Yahoo! section that says you can just use pop.

Thanks again for the help.

cdh