* toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-10 20:37 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-10 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have gnus-treat-display-smileys set to t. When I try to toggle the
display of the smileys (mouse-2 on a smiley in the article buffer), I
get: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article ...

It worked with a previous version (Oort Gnus v0.04, IIRC from August
2001).

(emacs-version)
--> "GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)\n of 2001-12-04 on thor"

(gnus-version)
--> "Oort Gnus v0.05", recent CVS version [Thu Jan 10 20:26:57 CET 2002]

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-19 21:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> I have gnus-treat-display-smileys set to t. When I try to toggle the
> display of the smileys (mouse-2 on a smiley in the article buffer), I
> get: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article ...

`W D D' will toggle all the images.

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-19 22:43   ` Björn Torkelsson
From: Björn Torkelsson @ 2002-01-19 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I have gnus-treat-display-smileys set to t. When I try to toggle the
>> display of the smileys (mouse-2 on a smiley in the article buffer), I
>> get: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article ...
>
> `W D D' will toggle all the images.

And W g will toggle only the smileys

/torkel

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-20 11:05     ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-01-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: torkel@acc.umu.se (Björn Torkelsson)
   Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:43:58 +0100

Hi,

   > > Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
   > >
   > >> I have gnus-treat-display-smileys set to t. When I try to toggle the
   > >> display of the smileys (mouse-2 on a smiley in the article buffer), I
   > >> get: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article ...
   > >
   > > `W D D' will toggle all the images.
   >
   > And W g will toggle only the smileys

why C-h k W g tells me:

--- cut here ---
W g runs the command gnus-treat-smiley
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-art'.
It is bound to W g, W D s, <menu-bar> <Article> <Display> <Toggle smiley>.
(gnus-treat-smiley)

Display textual emoticons ("smileys") as small graphical icons.
--- cut here ---

but in fact it is bound to <menu-bar> <commands> <Display> <Toggle smiley>?
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^

And second question: why we do not have key-bindings in the menus together
with their meaning here? It would help users to work faster and faster with
Gnus. It is better to have "Remove images     (W D D)"!
--
Pavel Janík

The more I learn about Linux kernel issues, the more I am considering to start
looking for Something Else(tm)... ;-)
                  -- Lars Marowsky-Bree in private e-mail

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> Display textual emoticons ("smileys") as small graphical icons.

I've now fixed the doc string.

> And second question: why we do not have key-bindings in the menus together
> with their meaning here? It would help users to work faster and faster with
> Gnus. It is better to have "Remove images     (W D D)"!

The keystrokes are supposed to appear in the menu automatically,
aren't they?

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-20 16:15         ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-01-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
   Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:39:54 +0100

   > > And second question: why we do not have key-bindings in the menus together
   > > with their meaning here? It would help users to work faster and faster with
   > > Gnus. It is better to have "Remove images     (W D D)"!
   >
   > The keystrokes are supposed to appear in the menu automatically,
   > aren't they?

When you are in the Summary buffer, keys are there in the menu
Article/Display.

I'm talking about the situation, when you are in the Article buffer and the
same menu is in Commands/Display. No keys are there (except C-u g for raw
article). Is it a bug? Maybe this is related to this:

C-h k W g in the *Article* buffer:

It is bound to W g, W D s, <menu-bar> <Article> <Display> <Toggle smiley>.

But there is no sub-menu Display in the menu Article.
--
Pavel Janík

Deletion of Windows:
         Deleting a window means eliminating it from the screen.
                  -- An unknown author in GNU Emacs 21 manual

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-20 17:59           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-20 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> I'm talking about the situation, when you are in the Article buffer and the
> same menu is in Commands/Display. No keys are there (except C-u g for raw
> article).

Right.  In the article buffer, very few of the keystrokes are actually
bound to any commands -- instead, they go through a somewhat
complicated "move-point-to-the-summary-buffer-and-see-what-they-are-bound-
to-there" function.  So the keyboard shortcuts in the article buffer
don't work.

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-20 19:04     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-20 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 19 2002, torkel@acc.umu.se (Björn Torkelsson) wrote:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
>>
>>> I have gnus-treat-display-smileys set to t. When I try to toggle the
>>> display of the smileys (mouse-2 on a smiley in the article buffer), I
>>> get: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Article ...

Now I got `current-kill: Kill ring is empty', so apparently some
yanking function is invoked.

>> `W D D' will toggle all the images.
>
> And W g will toggle only the smileys

Hmm, yes `W d' works fine, thanx.

But isn't mouse-2 (on a smiley like this: ;-) ) supposed to do the
same? At least the tooltip (balloon help) text says so (defined in
smiley-ems.el). The key-binding is okay (AFAICS):

,----[ C-h k <down-mouse-2> (on a smiley) ]
| <down-mouse-2> at that spot runs the command widget-button-click
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `wid-edit'.
| (widget-button-click EVENT)
|
| Invoke the button that the mouse is pointing at.
`----

Reiner
--
       ,,,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-20 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Now I got `current-kill: Kill ring is empty', so apparently some
> yanking function is invoked.

Mouse-2 is bound to `yank' by default.

> But isn't mouse-2 (on a smiley like this: ;-) ) supposed to do the
> same? At least the tooltip (balloon help) text says so (defined in
> smiley-ems.el). The key-binding is okay (AFAICS):
>
> ,----[ C-h k <down-mouse-2> (on a smiley) ]
> | <down-mouse-2> at that spot runs the command widget-button-click
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `wid-edit'.
> | (widget-button-click EVENT)
> |
> | Invoke the button that the mouse is pointing at.
> `----

Yup.  Anybody want to implement this?  :-)

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-20 19:53         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-01-20 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 20 2002, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Mouse-2 is bound to `yank' by default.

sure. But on a `clickable' object in an article buffer it shouldn't
have the default binding.

> Yup.  Anybody want to implement this?  :-)

As I mentioned in my first message: mouse-2 *did* toggle the smileys
in a previous version (Oort Gnus v0.04, IIRC from August 2001). After
an upgrade the behavior changed (in December or the first few days of
January -- sorry I don't remember exactly).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2002-01-20 20:01           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-20 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

>> Yup.  Anybody want to implement this?  :-)
>
> As I mentioned in my first message: mouse-2 *did* toggle the smileys
> in a previous version (Oort Gnus v0.04, IIRC from August 2001).

Anybody want to re-implement this?  :-)

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-21 12:56             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Right.  In the article buffer, very few of the keystrokes are actually
> bound to any commands -- instead, they go through a somewhat
> complicated "move-point-to-the-summary-buffer-and-see-what-they-are-bound-
> to-there" function.  So the keyboard shortcuts in the article buffer
> don't work.

I think it is better to have the article keymap derive from the
summary keymap.  Then no such complicated things are necessary.

Thoughts?

(Maybe some Emacsen don't support inheriting keymaps?)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-21 19:54               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-21 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think it is better to have the article keymap derive from the
> summary keymap.  Then no such complicated things are necessary.

That's not really possible.  All the keystrokes in the article buffer
are wrappers that first move point to the summary buffer, then
executes the keystroke there, and then moves back to the article
buffer.  Deriving the article mode map from the summary mode map
wouldn't achieve this.

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-22  9:42                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-22  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I think it is better to have the article keymap derive from the
>> summary keymap.  Then no such complicated things are necessary.
>
> That's not really possible.  All the keystrokes in the article buffer
> are wrappers that first move point to the summary buffer, then
> executes the keystroke there, and then moves back to the article
> buffer.  Deriving the article mode map from the summary mode map
> wouldn't achieve this.

I see.  Why do they move point to the summary buffer?

Hm.  I guess rewriting all them functions so that they don't need
point in the summary buffer will be a big job.

kai
--

@ 2002-01-22 14:41                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I see.  Why do they move point to the summary buffer?

Take `C-M-k', for instance.  It kills the sub-thread under point, so
point has to be in the summary buffer for it to work.

* Re: toggle smilies in buffer (mouse-2) is failing
@ 2002-01-22 16:05                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I see.  Why do they move point to the summary buffer?
>
> Take `C-M-k', for instance.  It kills the sub-thread under point, so
> point has to be in the summary buffer for it to work.

Ah!

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)