* Archiving messages and other servers
@ 1996-07-31 15:43 Joao Cachopo
From: Joao Cachopo @ 1996-07-31 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm using Gnus 5.2.37, but my problem started while using a previous
version (5.2.31, I think).

In order to archive my messages, I use gnus-outgoing-message-group set
to a function, and gnus-message-archive-group set to nil.

The function used on gnus-outgoing-message-group puts sent messages on
the group I were when sending it (for some of my mail groups) or else
on groups like nnfolder+archive:{mail,news}.%YY-%MM (as suggested
somewhere).

This works pretty well...

However, sometime ago, I decided to create some other groups on
nnfolder+archive: to where I would B m some of the messages I read on
other groups.

I don't remember what I did exactly (it has been some weeks now that I
messed it up), but Gnus started to complain that it couldn't find some
files.  It turned out to be that it was trying to access something
like ~/Mail/mail/1996-07 (as if the group was an nnml file).

After a while I decided to remove ~/Mail/archive/active (I don't
remember why, but I had a good motive back then :-) and presently it
only have one line 'mail.1996-07 7 1 y' (created by mail sending
during this month).

Moreover, when I (B)rowse the nnfolder+archive group it shows me all
my nnml groups (it seems that nnfolder-active-file is ~/Mail/active).

Is there anyway to regenarate my archive/active file (other than by
hand) ?

What's going on with the archive server ?

Browsing gnus.el I see that on gnus-setup and some other functions
Gnus is testing whether I'm using an archive server
(gnus-archive-server-wanted-p), which I think is returning nil
(according to my reading of the function, I didn't debug-on-entry it).

Am I supposed to had "archive" to the secondary-methods ?
(Actually I've done this already, and it didn't help, but my setup is
pretty much messed up :-()

Anyone has any suggestion ?

--
Joao Cachopo   *   Homepage: http://www.gia.ist.utl.pt/~jcachopo

                 *** Murphy was an optimist ***

* Re: Archiving messages and other servers
@ 1996-08-01 20:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-01 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joao Cachopo <jcachopo@gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> Moreover, when I (B)rowse the nnfolder+archive group it shows me all
> my nnml groups (it seems that nnfolder-active-file is ~/Mail/active).

Hm.  `B nnfolder RET archive RET' gives you the groups in
"~/Mail/active"?

> Is there anyway to regenarate my archive/active file (other than by
> hand) ?

Not currently, no.

> Am I supposed to had "archive" to the secondary-methods ?

Nope.

* Re: Archiving messages and other servers
@ 1996-08-02  9:17   ` Joao Cachopo
From: Joao Cachopo @ 1996-08-02  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Lars> Joao Cachopo <jcachopo@gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:
 >> Moreover, when I (B)rowse the nnfolder+archive group it shows me
 >> all my nnml groups (it seems that nnfolder-active-file is
 >> ~/Mail/active).

 Lars> Hm.  `B nnfolder RET archive RET' gives you the groups in
 Lars> "~/Mail/active"?

Yes.

 >> Is there anyway to regenarate my archive/active file (other than
 >> by hand) ?

 Lars> Not currently, no.

Wouldn't it be a good addition for Red ?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joao Cachopo <jcachopo@gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:

>  Lars> Hm.  `B nnfolder RET archive RET' gives you the groups in
>  Lars> "~/Mail/active"?
>
> Yes.

If you go to the server buffer (`^' in the group buffer) and edit the
archive server, what does it look like?

>  >> Is there anyway to regenarate my archive/active file (other than
>  >> by hand) ?
>
>  Lars> Not currently, no.
>
> Wouldn't it be a good addition for Red ?

It's on the todo list.

* Re: Archiving messages and other servers
@ 1996-08-06 15:02       ` Joao Cachopo
From: Joao Cachopo @ 1996-08-06 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Lars> Joao Cachopo <jcachopo@gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:

 Lars> Hm.  `B nnfolder RET archive RET' gives you the groups in
 Lars> "~/Mail/active"?

 >> Yes.

 Lars> If you go to the server buffer (`^' in the group buffer) and
 Lars> edit the archive server, what does it look like?

Well, I think I have everything working now....
I cleaned .newsrc.eld by hand and looked into gnus.el a little bit.

As I have gnus-message-archive-group set to nil (I use
gnus-outgoing-message-group instead), the function
gnus-archive-server-wanted-p always returned nil.

Therefore gnus-read-active-file never tried do get
~/Mail/archive/active.
However, as I have some groups from nnfolder+archive: I think gnus
opened a (nnfolder "archive") server, distinct from "archive" which is
by default on gnus-server-alist.

I solved my problem setting gnus-secondary-select-methods to
'("archive" (nnml "")).

Unfortunately, to answer Lars question I removed "archive" and screwed
it up again :-(

In my .newsrc.eld some of the nnfolder+archive groups had "archive" on
the method (or is it server?) and others had (nnfolder "archive").
I edited it manually so that all of them have now "archive".

Reading gnus.el I came to know (maybe its in the manual, I didn't
check) that the secondary-methods are possible answers to `B'.

`B archive RET' gives me the ~/Mail/archive/active list of groups as
expected.

However, `B nnfolder RET archive RET' still gives me the ~/Mail/active
list though.  Is this the intended functionality?
After this command, `^' shows me two {nnfolder:archive} servers.
Editing one of them shows me the correct parameters from
gnus-server-alist.  Editing the other gives error.

(Is this message somehow understandable?)