* Retry on '400 load is at xx, try later'
@ 1996-07-26 13:35 Klaus Schniedergers
From: Klaus Schniedergers @ 1996-07-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

one of the news servers I use has a quite high load and denies access
with the message shown in the subject.

How common is this 'to high load' message? Is it a standard
configuration for nntp servers?  If it is, then GNUS could optionally
handle this with a retry after some minutes......xvnews does, but I
think they do it on all 4xx messages....

Klaus

* Re: Retry on '400 load is at xx, try later'
@ 1996-07-26 16:12 ` Mark Boyns
From: Mark Boyns @ 1996-07-26 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Klaus Schniedergers <eedksc@eed.ericsson.se> writes:

> one of the news servers I use has a quite high load and denies access
> with the message shown in the subject.
>
> How common is this 'to high load' message? Is it a standard
> configuration for nntp servers?  If it is, then GNUS could optionally
> handle this with a retry after some minutes......xvnews does, but I
> think they do it on all 4xx messages....

INN has a program called innwatch that monitors things like load
average and disk usage.  I think the default is to throttle the
server when the load is greater than 2.

Any server that runs innwatch and hasn't changed the default control
file is subject to this behavior.

--
Mark Boyns <boyns@sdsu.edu> <URL:http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/>
PGP fingerprint = D3 28 A2 F7 D1 4C F8 EE  BF 7A 11 54 1C E5 6E CC