* jumping to invisible mail groups
@ 1997-06-07 15:13 Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-06-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I want to visit my mail groups consisting of archived messages,
(not frequently read) I use `j' to jump to the group.  However this
first makes the group visible which I then need to select, and leaves
it visible when I'm finished reading it.  Until I use `u' on the group
that is.  This seems too cumbersome to me for e-mail use.  I know I
could leave all my mail groups visible for quick access, but since I
have about 700 nnmh mail groups, I think the Group buffer would be
a bit too cluttered.  Is there a way to jump to an invisible group's
Summary buffer without making it visible first, and then be returned
to the Group buffer when finished with the group?  This would behave
similar to `M-f' in MH-E (`mh-visit-folder'), where you enter the
group name and are instantly transported into the given folder for
reading.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: jumping to invisible mail groups
@ 1997-06-11  1:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-11  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> When I want to visit my mail groups consisting of archived messages,
> (not frequently read) I use `j' to jump to the group.  However this
> first makes the group visible which I then need to select, and leaves
> it visible when I'm finished reading it.  Until I use `u' on the group
> that is.

I'm not sure I understand.  What does `u' on the group do?  Are these
groups unsubscribed or subscribed or dead?

* Re: jumping to invisible mail groups
@ 1997-06-11  3:31   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-06-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:
>
> > When I want to visit my mail groups consisting of archived messages,
> > (not frequently read) I use `j' to jump to the group.  However this
> > first makes the group visible which I then need to select, and leaves
> > it visible when I'm finished reading it.  Until I use `u' on the group
> > that is.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  What does `u' on the group do?  Are these
> groups unsubscribed or subscribed or dead?

`u' on the group unsubscribes it as it should.  The groups are
subscribed when I run the `u' on them.  This isn't a problem,
rather it's that I don't want to have to go through the whole process
of subscribing to a mail group, reading the messages I want to read in
it, and then unsubscribing it to hide it from view.  I was looking for
a more MUA-like behavior of visiting mail groups to make things more
speedy.

A reader suggested using topic mode to leave all my mail groups
visable, but hiding the undesired groups from view with a closed
(collapsed) topic.  I'm still investigating this as a permanent
solution, so I'd still be interested in hearing about other methods of
attack.

@ 1997-06-11  9:37 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-06-11  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Jason> When I want to visit my mail groups consisting of archived
  Jason> messages, (not frequently read) I use `j' to jump to the
  Jason> group.  However this first makes the group visible which I
  Jason> then need to select, and leaves it visible when I'm finished
  Jason> reading it.  Until I use `u' on the group that is. [...]

Another alternative might be to use levels.  You could put the groups
that you seldom read at level 4, say, and set the default level to 3.

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: jumping to invisible mail groups
@ 1997-06-11 23:57   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-06-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Another alternative might be to use levels.  You could put the groups
> that you seldom read at level 4, say, and set the default level to 3.

That works, but requesting all these level 4 groups when I want to
read one seems too slow for me because I have so many of them.  So
far, the best method seems to be:

1. Make group visible - (j)
2. Enter group
3. Make group invisible - (l, not u)

This isn't all that much slower than how your typical MUA changes
folders actually.  Also, I guess I could put the above sequence into
an elisp function so that it looks like a single operation if I really
wanted to.

Thanks all.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com