* I have a dream...
@ 1998-06-25  3:06 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-25  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to lie on the couch while programming.

This may seem like something that would be easy to achieve, but it
isn't, really.  Machines nowadays make so much noise that having them
nearby is painful.  I've solved this up 'till now by putting the
machines into this nice closet here, but there's no way to stretch a
ten meter monitor and keyboard cords over to the sofa way over there.

So I want to buy a new machine, and that machine must be diskless, so
that after I snip the fan in the power supply, it'll be  s i l e n t.

Now, if I'm going to but a machine, I guess I'll have to buy a PII,
and if I buy a PII, I might as well buy a dual PII.  (Makes sense,
huh?  I mean, I really *need* a machine that can compile the Linux
kernel once every five minutes.  Like, really.)  I have most of the
parts; I just need two processors and a motherboard.

It turns out that if I could buy those three items in the US instead
of here, and then successfully circumnavigate the Norwegian customs, I
could save (/ (- (+ 2200 1800 1800) (* (+ 151 151 125) 7.5)) 7.5) =>
346.33333333333331 dollars (approx).  So I was wondering whether
someone in the US would aid me in perpetrating this crime by acting as
a way-station -- I order the stuff, set the mailing address to yours
truly; you receive the packet(s), rip off the packaging and re-package
it in bubblewrap and an innoscous-looking envelope and mail it to me.
(I'll send you money for postage, of course.)

Hm?  Then I'll be able to lie on the couch while programming, which
will mean much more Gnus programming this summer.

*cough*

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen