* compressed nnfolder archives
@ 1996-07-23  6:30 Erik Selberg
       [not found] ` <x7viff9jex.fsf@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>
From: Erik Selberg @ 1996-07-23  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there some way to compress an archived nnfolder with gzip and have
the thing be read properly? just gzipping it failed, as did gzipping
it and renaming it to the original name (i.e. archive.gz -> archive)

-Erik
--
				Erik Selberg
"I get by with a little help	selberg@cs.washington.edu

* Re: compressed nnfolder archives
       [not found] ` <x7viff9jex.fsf@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>
@ 1996-07-23 21:27   ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-07-23 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On 23 Jul 1996 09:41:10 -0400,
>> Richard Pieri(RP) wrote:

RP> on-the-fly compression schemes (crypt++, jka-compr) likewise are
RP> also never invoked.  Renaming the file to remove the compression
RP> extension will fail because the compression schemes use the
RP> extension to determine compression type, if any.

Not quite correct.

jka-compr relies on the extension, but crypt++ does not. It peeks
inside the file and uses a magic number technique. I've used crypt++
to automagically decode many gzip'd files w/o the `.gz' filename
extension.

--
  -mb-

* Re: compressed nnfolder archives
@ 1996-07-24  5:51     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-07-24  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> wrote:

| jka-compr relies on the extension, but crypt++ does not. It peeks
| inside the file and uses a magic number technique. I've used crypt++
| to automagically decode many gzip'd files wø the `.gz'filename
| extension.

Hmm I think I switched from crypt++ to jka-compr when crypt++ didn't
work too goo good together with rmail (yep it was those old days), I
think it was that crypt++ couldn't handle appending to files.

Is it something to be worried about in gnus?

        Åndy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: compressed nnfolder archives
@ 1996-07-24 13:34       ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-07-24 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Curiosity never killed anything, except
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ maybe a few hours. -A cat's guide to life