* Threading bug
@ 1997-11-01 22:54 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1997-11-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus seems to gather some fragmented threads using adoption but often fails in
mail groups to completely reunite orphaned articles with their parents. Below
is a summary buffer for an nnfolder group, this is gnus 5.4.64.

   [  24: David ROCHER        ] ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
     [  36: Juan Cespedes       ]
   [  41: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
     [  51: Christoph Lameter   ]
   [  17: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
     [  38: Erik Andersen       ]
       [  30: Philip Hands        ]
   [  25: Tim Sailer          ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
   [  31: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem

And below are the message-id and in-reply-to headers from each of these
message grabbed from the *nntpd* buffer (M-x keep-lines is handy:)

.

* Re: Threading bug
@ 1997-11-05 20:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-05 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Gnus seems to gather some fragmented threads using adoption but
> often fails in mail groups to completely reunite orphaned articles
> with their parents. Below is a summary buffer for an nnfolder group,
> this is gnus 5.4.64.
>
>    [  24: David ROCHER        ] ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
>      [  36: Juan Cespedes       ]
>    [  41: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
>      [  51: Christoph Lameter   ]
>    [  17: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
>      [  38: Erik Andersen       ]
>        [  30: Philip Hands        ]
>    [  25: Tim Sailer          ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem
>    [  31: Philip Hands        ] Re: ppp 2.3.1-2 problem

[...]

This isn't an orphaned article -- it should thread normally.  Did the
article have a bogus References header, perhaps?  References headers
take precedence over In-Reply-To headers.

* Re: Threading bug
@ 1997-11-06  1:46   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-11-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> This isn't an orphaned article -- it should thread normally.  Did the
Lars> article have a bogus References header, perhaps?  References headers
Lars> take precedence over In-Reply-To headers.

FYI, the default threading subject grouping behaviour seems wierd...
I ran into a similar problem and finally uncommented my

  (setq gnus-summary-gather-subject-limit 'fuzzy)

line again.  (I don't remember why I had commented it out in the first
place).  Anyway, this made all of the above problems get fixed.  I
didn't sit down and compare the subject lines with a magnifying glass,
but I probably should have.  (its not to late, it was just today).

Maybe there was spaces or something at the end, because for all other
practical purposes it looked the same to the un-trained naked I.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."