* Default value of message-make-forward-subject-function
@ 2003-04-07 18:05 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-07 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

The default value of message-make-forward-subject-function is
message-forward-subject-author-subject. Is this a good idea? I ask
because this means the email address of the original sender then gets
put into the subject field of the forward. This possibility seems to
get over-looked by some of the anti-spam-harvester methods. For
example:

http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html

replaces all email addresses in the *body* of mails with
user@bogus.example.com, and hides email addresses in standard
headers, but leaves the Subject: header intact.

http://gmane.org/tmda.php

seems to do the "@" -> " at " thing in From: headers, bu also leaves
Subject: headers untouched.

One can argue that these schemes ought to be improved, but
personally I'd also like to see Gnus not add the email address to the
forward subject (at least not by default).

WDYT?

* Re: Default value of message-make-forward-subject-function
@ 2003-04-12 21:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-12 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris <gmorris+mail@ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> One can argue that these schemes ought to be improved, but
> personally I'd also like to see Gnus not add the email address to the
> forward subject (at least not by default).

I think it's nice to have the author of the original message in the
Subject header.  But perhaps the name will suffice, and the email
address isn't necessary?

* Re: Default value of message-make-forward-subject-function
@ 2003-04-13  9:56   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-13  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I think it's nice to have the author of the original message in the
> Subject header. But perhaps the name will suffice, and the email
> address isn't necessary?

Personally, I'm happy to look at the From: header of the forwarded
message, but it does seem to be a matter of taste.