* nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-11-16 22:38 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-11-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please post a quickref guide to the proper way to get up and
running with nnslashdot?  I want to play with it in the least obtrusive way
possible so that if I don't like it I can easily remove it.  Should I add the
server through the server buffer or as a seconday-select?  What is the
easiest/best way to interact with it?

Thanx!

BTW, are the CVS updates numbered?  Or does the gnus-version stay at 0.99
until an official release is done?  If it stays at 0.99, how do you
distinguish between which CVS versions someone is running or discussing?

Thanx again!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

"Every time I think I've idiot-proofed something someone comes up with a
better idiot"

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-11-16 22:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-16 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> BTW, are the CVS updates numbered?  Or does the gnus-version stay at 0.99
> until an official release is done?  If it stays at 0.99, how do you
> distinguish between which CVS versions someone is running or discussing?

Every once in a while, Lars does a release.  Referring to releases is
easy.  (Maybe they're called 0.99.1 or something?)  But as to CVS, all
you can say is `as of a few minutes ago', and then people can look at
the Date header ;-)

Suboptimal, but seemed to work.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-01 15:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Can someone please post a quickref guide to the proper way to get up and
> running with nnslashdot?  I want to play with it in the least obtrusive way
> possible so that if I don't like it I can easily remove it.  Should I add the
> server through the server buffer or as a seconday-select?  What is the
> easiest/best way to interact with it?

The easiest way is to put it into your secondary select methods, I think.

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-01 23:42   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-12-01 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    LMI> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >> Can someone please post a quickref guide to the proper way to get up
    >> and running with nnslashdot?  I want to play with it in the least
    >> obtrusive way possible so that if I don't like it I can easily remove
    >> it.  Should I add the server through the server buffer or as a
    >> seconday-select?  What is the easiest/best way to interact with it?

    LMI> The easiest way is to put it into your secondary select methods, I
    LMI> think.

What exactly would be added to the gnus-secondary-select-methods?  Is this an
easier approach than the topics-based approach advocated in an earlier
thread?  Or do the two go hand-in-hand?

--

@ 1999-12-05 22:13     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>     LMI> The easiest way is to put it into your secondary select methods, I
>     LMI> think.
>
> What exactly would be added to the gnus-secondary-select-methods?

The existing documentation already says this.  See the first dozen
lines or so in the `Slashdot' node.

> Is this an easier approach than the topics-based approach advocated
> in an earlier thread?  Or do the two go hand-in-hand?

They do different things altogether.  It's like asking whether an
automatic gear shift is easier than power steering and whether the two
go hand in hand...

By adding nnslashdot to the secondary select methods or via the server
buffer, you enable Gnus to access the groups.  The topic-based
approach works with both and tells Gnus where to put newly-discovered
nnslashdot groups.

kai

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-06 19:54       ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-12-06 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    KG> They do different things altogether.  It's like asking whether an
    KG> automatic gear shift is easier than power steering and whether the
    KG> two go hand in hand...

Great analogy!  Thanks for putting that into perspective!

    KG> By adding nnslashdot to the secondary select methods or via the
    KG> server buffer, you enable Gnus to access the groups.  The topic-based
    KG> approach works with both and tells Gnus where to put newly-discovered
    KG> nnslashdot groups.

I chose to add nnslashdot to my secondary selection methods and to switch my
gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method from gnus-subscribe-zombies to
gnus-subscribe-topics.  The question I have now is what happens to my new
non-nnslashdot groups?  They used to show up as zombies but now I'm just not
sure.  Should they show up under my Gnus topic and not in any of my other
subtopics?  So far, none have shown and I don't know if that's because there
truly aren't any new ones of if because there is a problem.

Thanx!

--

@ 1999-12-06 22:39         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-06 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> [...] The question I have now is what happens to my new
> non-nnslashdot groups? [...]

I had been thinking about that one, too.  I recall that Lars said that
they will be subscribed under the top-level topic at the default
subscription level.

kai

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-07  3:53           ` Jack Vinson
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-07  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
>> [...] The question I have now is what happens to my new
>> non-nnslashdot groups? [...]

KG> I had been thinking about that one, too.  I recall that Lars said that
KG> they will be subscribed under the top-level topic at the default
KG> subscription level.

According to the info page '(gnus)Subscription Methods',
gnus-subscribe-topics will do exactly the same as gnus-subscribe-randomly
EXCEPT for new groups which match the 'subscribe' Topic parameter.

My slashdot Topic parameter looks like this:
((score-file . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
 (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

The slashdot.all.SCORE has fun things like increasing score for
Interersting, Funny, Insightful, Informative.  And decrease score on
Redundant, Flamebait and Offtopic.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: I guess we can live on his POT FARM in HADES!!

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-07 18:39             ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Would you mind sharing your init files with us?
It would really help me to see some examples.

Dave

Jack> My slashdot Topic parameter looks like this:
Jack> ((score-file . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
Jack>  (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

Jack> The slashdot.all.SCORE has fun things like increasing score for
Jack> Interersting, Funny, Insightful, Informative.  And decrease score on
Jack> Redundant, Flamebait and Offtopic.

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-08  4:25             ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1999-12-08  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    KG> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >>> [...] The question I have now is what happens to my new
    >>> non-nnslashdot groups? [...]

    KG> I had been thinking about that one, too.  I recall that Lars said
    KG> that they will be subscribed under the top-level topic at the default
    KG> subscription level.

    JV> According to the info page '(gnus)Subscription Methods',
    JV> gnus-subscribe-topics will do exactly the same as
    JV> gnus-subscribe-randomly EXCEPT for new groups which match the
    JV> 'subscribe' Topic parameter.

So what's the bottom line then?  Where did they end up?  I see from my
message log that 31 new groups arrived yesterday and 500+ new groups (!)
arrived today.  I _know_ that they are not all slashdot!  So how can I find
them?  And how do I make sure they don't disappear next time?

    JV> My slashdot Topic parameter looks like this: ((score-file
    JV> . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
    JV>  (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

    JV> The slashdot.all.SCORE has fun things like increasing score for
    JV> Interersting, Funny, Insightful, Informative.  And decrease score on
    JV> Redundant, Flamebait and Offtopic.

I'd love to see how you are using SCORE files.  I think this is something
I'd love to start to use but am not certain how/where to begin.

--

@ 1999-12-08  5:29               ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake> So what's the bottom line then?  Where did they end up?  I see from
Jake> my message log that 31 new groups arrived yesterday and 500+ new
Jake> groups (!)  arrived today.  I _know_ that they are not all slashdot!
Jake> So how can I find them?  And how do I make sure they don't disappear
Jake> next time?

If you have set up any Topics with subscribe parameters, then groups
matching parameter X will end up in group X.  All of the other groups are
supposed to end up subscribed under the "Gnus" top-level topic.  If this
isn't happening, then something is amiss.

JV> The slashdot.all.SCORE has fun things like increasing score for
JV> Interersting, Funny, Insightful, Informative.  And decrease score on
JV> Redundant, Flamebait and Offtopic.

Jake> I'd love to see how you are using SCORE files.  I think this is something
Jake> I'd love to start to use but am not certain how/where to begin.

Have you looked in the manual?  There should be some useful examples
there.  But for the sake of fun, this is what I set up for Slashdot:

In the topic parameters for my Slashdot topic:
((score-file . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
 (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

The score-file will be in the gnus-kill-files-directory.  I created it with
these settings.  Hopefully, this example and the manual will make the
format clear.  You might also want to understand how to take advantage of
the 'all' SCORE file name syntax to get hierarchical scoring.  An all.SCORE
file should apply to every group you enter.
(("subject"
  ("Insightful" 200 nil s)
  ("Interesting" 100 nil s)
  ("Informative" 100 nil s)
  ("Funny" 50 nil s)
  ("Redundant" -100 nil s)
  ("Flamebait" -500 nil s)
  ("Offtopic" -250 nil s))
 (adapt ignore)
)

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Where's SANDY DUNCAN?

* Re: nnslashdot - quickref quide please
@ 1999-12-10 11:27             ` Peter Makholm
From: Peter Makholm @ 1999-12-10 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> My slashdot Topic parameter looks like this:
> ((score-file . "nnslashdot.all.SCORE")
>  (subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

I can't get the gnus-subscribe-topic to work. I use 5.8.3 (a cvs
version from yesterday) with the following settings:

In my .gnus I have:

(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroups-method 'gnus-subscribe-topic)
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")
				      (nnslashdot "")
				      ))

And my Topic Parameters for the Slashedot topic is:
((subscribe . "nnslashdot"))

Which should work acording to messages here and the manual. Or should
it?
It doesn't work so I assume I made a mistake, but I can't find it.

BTW: Increasing score on articles matching messagID ".*%1@.*" is
guarentied to match the first article, right?

--
I congratulate you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone,
and may each of you fry in hell forever.