* request for No Gnus addition: "nnvm" backend to read VM folders ?
@ 2004-01-18 18:56 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2004-01-18 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings, I'd be very happy to see gnus have the capability of
reading files in VM's mbox format and convert them into gnus nnimap
format. What we need, then, is a nnvm (that I would personally then
use to convert to nnimap). VM uses standard mbox format with an
additional header (X-VM-v5-Data) per message that indicates flags set
for that message. (There are also VM-specific headers on the first
message for each folder, but those aren't as important.)

Some of VM's flags should be stored in different places in gnus -
there's a X-Status, a Status, and X-Keywords. Thus the backend will
slurp in a VM mailbox and properly distribute its marks in the right
places for gnus.

Simon Josefsson did a significant amount of work on this, but he
didn't have a chance to finish it up and isn't currently available to
do so. We've tracked down most of the flag translations that need to
be done at this point. I can also supply Simon's partial patch and a
sample mailbox for translation (or post them if there's interest), as
well as the email thread that we had when we discussed this. Please
let me know if this (hopefully small) project is interesting to you?

JDO

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-01-18 18:56 UTC | newest]