* Have specific addresses for diffrent targets? Posting-styles?
@ 2002-12-15 12:44 Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-12-15 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am about to move away from this email address (the account will be
shut down) and is therefor planning to use three email addresses:

* My main address - used by friends etc.
* A specific address for USENET which will be a spamtrap (still valid
  so people still can reach me - or are there better way?).
* A specific address used when I subscribe to mailinglists. (This is a
  sort of spamtrap. If it leaks to spammers my main address won't get dirty.)

When I write an article I want Gnus (OGnus 0.07 at the moment) to use
the approprite address.

My idea was to use posting-styles (or are there a better way?) and
have:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      ((message-news-p
        (address my-usenet-address))
       (XXXX
        (address my-mailinglist-address))
       (... the rest, which sets signature, org. etc.)))

My question is now, which way is the best way to implement XXXX?

The first idea was to have a regexp matching all groups' names which
are mailinglist groups. The trouble is that I have to update that
variable by hand and that my mailinglist groups does not have a common
part - like "^lists.".

I seems to remember somthing in Gnus that might solve this problem,
but the memory is so faint that I don't know what to search for or
even what to ask for!

I could add a group parameter to the mailing lists groups but I don't
know how to check for it in posting-styles in a good manner (I have to
write a function, but what will that function look like?) and I don't
want to add this parameter to every group by hand - isn't there a
variable that looks like gnus-posting-styles (i.e. list of regexps and
some properties to apply if the regexp matches) but are for group
parameters?

I assume that there is some feature(s) in Gnus that solves my problems
in a beutiful way, but could someone please point me to them? I can't
find them myself. Thanks.

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: Have specific addresses for diffrent targets? Posting-styles?
@ 2002-12-15 13:34 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-12-15 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> The first idea was to have a regexp matching all groups' names which
> are mailinglist groups. The trouble is that I have to update that
> variable by hand and that my mailinglist groups does not have a common
> part - like "^lists.".

Why not change this? Change the splitting function, so that the mailing
list groups start with something unique (e.g. lists), then respool the
old messages.

Perhaps you could also do something with group levels?

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them