* Sending via smtp-mail slow
@ 2002-06-28 10:06 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-06-28 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Since some time, sending mails via smtp is very slow. Any chance to tune
it? My config:

 __^__                                                                 __^__
( ___ )---------------------------------------------------------------( ___ )
 | / | (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; not for Gnus     | \ |
 | / | (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; for Gnus | \ |
 | / | (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "127.0.0.1") ;;smtp-Server   | \ |
 | / | (setq smtpmail-local-domain "Frank-Schmitt.net") ;;FQDN         | \ |
 |___| (setq mail-default-reply-to "usenet@Frank-Schmitt.net")         |___|
(_____)---------------------------------------------------------------(_____)

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Sending via smtp-mail slow
@ 2002-07-08 16:37 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-07-08 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Since some time, sending mails via smtp is very slow. Any chance to tune
> it? My config:
>
>  __^__                                                                 __^__
> ( ___ )---------------------------------------------------------------( ___ )
>  | / | (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; not for Gnus     | \ |
>  | / | (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; for Gnus | \ |
>  | / | (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "127.0.0.1") ;;smtp-Server   | \ |
>  | / | (setq smtpmail-local-domain "Frank-Schmitt.net") ;;FQDN         | \ |
>  |___| (setq mail-default-reply-to "usenet@Frank-Schmitt.net")         |___|
> (_____)---------------------------------------------------------------(_____)

What's your value of `message-interactive'?  Setting it to nil could
speed up things a bit.

Also, I have found that using nnml for my mail-archive group makes
sending mail much faster than nnfolder (the default).

* Re: Sending via smtp-mail slow
@ 2002-07-08 17:59   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Also, I have found that using nnml for my mail-archive group makes
> sending mail much faster than nnfolder (the default).

Definately -- after my sent-mail folder grew to about 1000 messages I
noticed appending to the sent-mail nnfolder spool was taking longer
and longer.  Switching this to nnml helped a lot.  1-file per message
backends are much more efficient at appending it seems :)

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Sending via smtp-mail slow
@ 2002-07-08 20:45   ` James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 2002-07-08 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper> Also, I have found that using nnml for my mail-archive group
Jesper> makes sending mail much faster than nnfolder (the default).

I tried using nnml for my outpoing archive once and obviously did it
wrong as nothing got written to disk.  I currently have:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; unrelated stuff elied
 '(mail-archive-file-name "~/Mail/OUTGOING")
 '(message-default-headers "FCC: ~/Mail/OUTGOING
"))

and gnus-message-archive-method et al are unchanged.

Any tips on converting that to an nnml group?

Thanks,

-JimC

* Re: Sending via smtp-mail slow
@ 2002-07-09  8:15     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-09  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> Any tips on converting that to an nnml group?

If you want Gnus to copy to a group instead of writing to a file, you
have to use the Gcc header instead of the Fcc header.  In a nutshell,
"Fcc: /some/file" writes to a file whereas "Gcc: nnml:some.group"
writes to a group.

If you have an nnml backend already, it's as simple as using `G m' to
create a group there and to change the Fcc header into a Gcc header.

kai