From: Matt Simmons <simmonmt@acm.org>
Subject: Evaluate local variables in buffer
Date: 17 Aug 1997 22:49:55 -0700	[thread overview]

I wrote a perl script that turns rdist output into a format suitable
for emacs outline-mode.  However, to kick XEmacs into outline-mode, I
had to add Local Variables stuff to the end of the output.  Much to my
surprise, Gnus didn't eval the local variables stuff by default, so I
set about making it do so.

I had to make a modification to hack-one-local-variable in
prim/files.el, since the default hack-one-local-variable is coded to
expect a buffer associated with a file.  This is obviously not the
case with *Article*, so I added an if to check for buffers without
files.

I also had to add hack-local-variables to
gnus-article-display-hook. My question is this: Does GNU Emacs use a
different function for local variables evaluation?  If so, could
something like gnus-article-eval-local-variables be created that would
call the appropriate function?  I would write it myself, but I'm out
of easy range of Emacs sources for the next week or so.

Thanks

Matt

--
The difference between a bug and  |
a feature is documentation.       |  Matt Simmons