* [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-15 13:20 ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-15 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Because nnml supports post, and by default gnus-post-method is
current, `S o p' posts the message to a nnml groups.  It is
inconvenient and confusing.  Any solution?

ShengHuo

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3077 bytes --]

From: "Perkens-Golomb, Burkhard" <burkhard.perkens-golomb@sdm.de>
Subject: Can't post forward in nnml group
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:26:48 +0100

Oort Gnus v0.05
GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2001-12-06 on raven, modified by Debian

I can't post forward (S o p) when I'm in a nnml group summary buffer.
Posting forward from a nntp group works.

I press S o p and a message buffer opens (correct). I insert the name
of an existing newsgroup "sdm.test" in the "Newsgroup:" field and
press C-c C-c. Gnus asks:

,----
| Really post to this possibly unknown group: sdm.test? (y/n)
`----

Why is this group unknown? If I press "y", Gnus asks:

,----
| No such group: nnml:sdm.test. Create it? (y/n)
`----

Why does Gnus want to create an *nnml* group? And in the Message
buffer you can read:

,----
| nnmail-do-request-post: No such group: nnml:sdm.test
`----

Thanks,

        Burkhard

--
Burkhard Perkens-Golomb			mailto: burkhard.perkens-golomb@sdm.de
sd&m AG					http://www.sdm.de

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-15 14:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-15 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Because nnml supports post, and by default gnus-post-method is
> current, `S o p' posts the message to a nnml groups.  It is
> inconvenient and confusing.  Any solution?

One possibility would be to disable nnml-request-post because it is
now possible to put a message in a group via the Gcc header.

Another possibility is to skip (deffoo nnml-request-post...)
depending on a user option nnml-allow-posting or similar.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-15 14:43 ` IPmonger
From: IPmonger @ 2002-02-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>    Because nnml supports post, and by default gnus-post-method is
>  current, `S o p' posts the message to a nnml groups.  It is
>  inconvenient and confusing.  Any solution?

   Does it work to specify the back end method on the group line:

   Newsgroup: nntp:sdm.test

     Supporting this seems like the best option, since it would allow
  posting to groups you're not subscribed to, which the nntp back end
  presumably knows how to handle.

-IPmonger
--
------------------
IPmonger

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-15 15:32   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

IPmonger <ipmonger@delamancha.org> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>>    Because nnml supports post, and by default gnus-post-method is
>>  current, `S o p' posts the message to a nnml groups.  It is
>>  inconvenient and confusing.  Any solution?
>
>    Does it work to specify the back end method on the group line:
>
>    Newsgroup: nntp:sdm.test

No, but you can say "Newsgroups: sdm.test" and then use C-u 0 C-c C-c
to choose the backend for posting.

>      Supporting this seems like the best option, since it would allow
>   posting to groups you're not subscribed to, which the nntp back end
>   presumably knows how to handle.

Hm?

kai
--

@ 2002-02-15 15:53     ` IPmonger
From: IPmonger @ 2002-02-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>     Supporting this seems like the best option, since it would allow
>>  posting to groups you're not subscribed to, which the nntp back end
>>  presumably knows how to handle.
>
> Hm?

    Ignore that comment.  Now that I've thought about it, it seems
  pretty irrelevant.  Either the group in question is in .newsgroups
  (and you can post to it) or it isn't (and your NNTP server doesn't
  know how to get there).  Right?

-IPmonger
--
------------------
IPmonger

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-16  6:24     ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-02-16  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> No, but you can say "Newsgroups: sdm.test" and then use C-u 0 C-c C-c
> to choose the backend for posting.

And if nntp is your primary select method, which I believe is the
recommended configuration, C-u C-c C-c will work.

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] Can't post forward in nnml group
@ 2002-02-16 23:07   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-16 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Because nnml supports post, and by default gnus-post-method is
>> current, `S o p' posts the message to a nnml groups.  It is
>> inconvenient and confusing.  Any solution?
>
> One possibility would be to disable nnml-request-post because it is
> now possible to put a message in a group via the Gcc header.
>
> Another possibility is to skip (deffoo nnml-request-post...)
> depending on a user option nnml-allow-posting or similar.

I added a variable named gnus-discouraged-post-methods, which is a
list of back ends that are not used in "real" newsgroups.

The default value is '(nndraft nnml nnimap nnmaildir nnmh nnfolder
nndir).

ShengHuo