* My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 11:23 Julien GILLES
From: Julien GILLES @ 2000-01-21 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, it's not a revolution for Gnus World, but for me :-)

In the Customize view of a group, there is an admin-adress field that
is not used, it is there only for convenience.

I think that this adress should be automatically used for sending
messages to the mailing list server associated to the group.

(defun gnus-mail-admin-address ()
  "Compose mail for admin adress of a mailing list."
  (interactive)
  (let ((adress (gnus-group-find-parameter
		 gnus-newsgroup-name 'admin-address)))
    (cond (adress (gnus-setup-message 'message (message-mail adress)))
	  (t (display-message 'error "no admin adress")))))

(gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map "\C-ca" gnus-mail-admin-address)

- AFAK, "Control-c a" is not used. Another better keys ?
- Feel free to modify/correct/change this code, if something is not
  done the right way.

regards

--
Julien Gilles.

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 11:38 ` Roman Belenov
From: Roman Belenov @ 2000-01-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Julien GILLES <julien.gilles@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:

> Well, it's not a revolution for Gnus World, but for me :-)
>
> In the Customize view of a group, there is an admin-adress field that
> is not used, it is there only for convenience.

It should be used as the administrative address for mailing list, so
e.g. unsubscribe can be done automatically.

> I think that this adress should be automatically used for sending
> messages to the mailing list server associated to the group.

Why not just use gnus-summary-post-news command (bound to 'a' key) ?
It uses 'to-list' parameter in mail groups and can even fill this
parameter automatically after first post.

--
 							With regards, Roman.

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 12:05 ` Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2000-01-21 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Julien GILLES

> - AFAK, "Control-c a" is not used. Another better keys ?

C-c followed by a single letter is reserved for the emacs user herself
to define, usually for use in the global keymap.  I have C-c a, C-c e,
C-c s, C-c n, C-c d, C-c t, C-c g and C-c p globally bound myself, all
of them to functions that make sense in numerous contexts.

So it should be a safe place for you to bind it, but it's not a good
keybinding to distribute with Gnus.

--
Arvid

SDI spy strategic Soviet Albanian Khaddafi Saddam Hussein class
struggle

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 12:11   ` Julien GILLES
From: Julien GILLES @ 2000-01-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:
> It should be used as the administrative address for mailing list, so
> e.g. unsubscribe can be done automatically.
> >
> > I think that this adress should be automatically used for sending
> > messages to the mailing list server associated to the group.
>
> Why not just use gnus-summary-post-news command (bound to 'a' key) ?
> It uses 'to-list' parameter in mail groups and can even fill this
> parameter automatically after first post.

Sorry, I meant  :

"I think that this adress should be automatically used for sending
 messages to the ADMINISTRATIVE server associated to the MAILING
 LIST."

In fact we are speaking about the same thing : use
'gnus-summary-post-news' to send messages to a mailing list, and my
gnus-mail-admin-address to subscribe, unsusbscribe, etc...

Your idea about automatically unsubscribing, for example, seems fine, but
before writing some code, I wonder if there is nothing like that in
Gnus or (X)Emacs.
Never heard about such thing, but if someone knows something...

--

@ 2000-01-21 12:17   ` Julien GILLES
From: Julien GILLES @ 2000-01-21 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arvid Grøtting <arvidg@pc-arvidg.infotek.no> writes:

> * Julien GILLES
>
> > - AFAK, "Control-c a" is not used. Another better keys ?
>
> C-c followed by a single letter is reserved for the emacs user herself
> to define, usually for use in the global keymap.  I have C-c a, C-c e,
> C-c s, C-c n, C-c d, C-c t, C-c g and C-c p globally bound myself, all
> of them to functions that make sense in numerous contexts.

hum, I see.
And what about C-c C-a ?

> So it should be a safe place for you to bind it, but it's not a good
> keybinding to distribute with Gnus.

I agree.

--

@ 2000-01-21 12:18   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Julien GILLES, ding

Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> writes:

> Why not just use gnus-summary-post-news command (bound to 'a' key) ?
> It uses 'to-list' parameter in mail groups and can even fill this
> parameter automatically after first post.

Julien's code is for sending mail to the _admin_ address, not to the
_list_ address.

kai

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 12:35     ` Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2000-01-21 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Julien GILLES

> And what about C-c C-a ?

It's undefined AFAICT, it's in a logical place.  Good idea, unless
there's something else that would naturally go there.

--
Arvid

genetic Albanian FSF PLO Clinton Treasury class struggle $400 million
in gold bullion

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 12:41     ` Arvid Grøtting
From: Arvid Grøtting @ 2000-01-21 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Julien GILLES

> Your idea about automatically unsubscribing, for example, seems fine, but
> before writing some code, I wonder if there is nothing like that in
> Gnus or (X)Emacs.
> Never heard about such thing, but if someone knows something...

For the automatic mailing list management tools, there's a number of
different syntaxes for unsubscribing to a mailing list.
gnus-summary-unsubscribe-this-mailing-list[1] could need a lot of
built-in rules for recognizing the manager software and acting
accordingly.

It could be done, but I'm not volunteering.

[1] or whatever
--
Arvid Grøtting                          Telephone:  (+47) 22 02 16 95
information architect/developer         E-mail:   <arvidg@infotek.no>

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 12:54       ` Julien GILLES
From: Julien GILLES @ 2000-01-21 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arvid Grøtting <arvidg@pc-arvidg.infotek.no> writes:

> * Julien GILLES
>
> > Your idea about automatically unsubscribing, for example, seems fine, but
> > before writing some code, I wonder if there is nothing like that in
> > Gnus or (X)Emacs.
> > Never heard about such thing, but if someone knows something...
>
> For the automatic mailing list management tools, there's a number of
> different syntaxes for unsubscribing to a mailing list.
> gnus-summary-unsubscribe-this-mailing-list[1] could need a lot of
> built-in rules for recognizing the manager software and acting
> accordingly.

Futhermore there is often a confirmation to resend to really
(un)subscribe, so I don't think that something completly automatic can
be done.

But perhaps a gnus-summary-send-unsubscribe-message can be enough,
with - of course - a lot of built-in rules for recognizing the manager
software, or with a customized parameter.

> It could be done, but I'm not volunteering.

I am, if the big bosses of Gnus think that it is useful...

--

@ 2000-01-21 13:02     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2000-01-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Julien GILLES <julien.gilles@bcv01y01.vz.cit.alcatel.fr> wrote:

> Your idea about automatically unsubscribing, for example, seems fine, but
> before writing some code, I wonder if there is nothing like that in
> Gnus or (X)Emacs.

        Not that I know of. This idea also came to my mind a while ago.
Ideally, you should be able to type u on a mailing-list group in order prepare
[un]subscription to the associated mailing list. However, the design of such a
feature should be though of carefully as the [un]subscription methods vary
greatly in the universe (on earth, particularly).

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /        EPITA / LRDE            mailto:didier@epita.fr

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-21 14:07       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-01-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arvid Grøtting <arvidg@pc-arvidg.infotek.no> writes:

> * Julien GILLES
>
> > And what about C-c C-a ?
>
> It's undefined AFAICT, it's in a logical place.

It is use by footnote mode.

I don't think a command to send mail to the admin adress needs a
keybinding.

* Mailing list handling wishlist
@ 2000-01-22  3:24       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2000-01-22  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@epita.fr> writes:

> Not that I know of. This idea also came to my mind a while ago.
> Ideally, you should be able to type u on a mailing-list group in order
> prepare [un]subscription to the associated mailing list. However, the
> design of such a feature should be though of carefully as the
> [un]subscription methods vary greatly in the universe (on earth,
> particularly).

This would be truly cool, though.  And given some of the amazing things in
Gnus already, I'll be ambituous and ask for the moon.  :)

 * Parsing of the common list confirmation requests so that Gnus can
   prepare the response with a single command.  Including LISTSERV
   periodic ping messages and the like.

 * Parsing of the various List-* headers to enable automatic commands
   like "send help message," "send unsubscribe message," and the like.

 * Parsing of the subscription notice to stash away details like what
   address you're subscribed to the list under (and automatically send
   mail to the list using that address, when you send mail inside the list
   group), what address to mail to unsubscribe, and the list info message
   if available.  Hitting the "get FAQ" command inside a mailing list
   group should display that stashed copy of the info message.

 * Some help in coming up with good split rules for mailing lists, as
   automated as possible.  Splitting on To and Cc is almost always not
   what I want, since it can misfile messages and since if I'm cc'd on
   list mail I want to get both copies, one in my personal mailbox and one
   in the list mailbox.  I know other people handle it other ways, but I
   prefer it that way.  Accordingly, some way to semi-automatically
   generate split rules based on Sender, Mailing-List, Return-Path,
   X-Loop, and all of the other random headers that often work would be
   very cool.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-25 17:22         ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-01-25 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> > > And what about C-c C-a ?

> It is use by footnote mode.

Yes, but that won't cause a collision.  The keybinding in question is
for Summary mode, right?  When do you have footnote mode active under
Summary mode?

-Justin

* Re: My first lisp function for Gnus
@ 2000-01-26 14:45           ` Per Abrahamsen