From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Katsumi Yamaoka's CVS update of gnus/lisp (73 files)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:47:01 +0900	[thread overview]

> OK.  That wasn't obvious from your Changelog, since you mention
> "spc+tab" which generally sounds like "all combinations of spaces and
> tabs" being replaced with tab.

Nope.  I said literally SPACE and TAB.  It can be replaced with
single tab if it does not have the special meaning (e.g. a line
commented out with leading ";; ").  And we can save one byte in
disk space.

>> It is natural on the condition that the option `indent-tabs-mode'
>> is t (by default).  Could you see the actual Gnus source files?

> OK, I cvs updated one file, and saved the old version first
> (gnus-dired.el, a file I wrote not too long ago) to see the diffs.
> What is the motivation for this change?

I made sure of the differences between latest gnus-dired.el and
old one (I've CVS checkd out it using -D '2 days ago').  I found
I've removed traling spaces in seven lines and I've removed
spaces from one line that there were only spaces in the line.

I am using develock-mode[1] in lisp files, ChangeLog, etc.  It
does highlight such garbages loudly.

[1] ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/elisp/develock.el.gz

> When I wrote gnus-dired.el, the last thing I did before submitting it
> for inclusion was M-x mark-whole-buffer and M-x indent-region, and
> I've never customized any of the indention variables in
> emacs-lisp-mode either.

See:

 nnmaildir.el     | 2124 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------------

and see what I've done on it.  Maybe the author of this file has
set the option `indent-tabs-mode' to nil.  It makes source files
fat needlessly.  I must apologize to the author if there is the
special sense, but I don't think so.  I've modified it using
Develock and advised commands as it has written under the
default condition that `indent-tabs-mode' is t.

> So, gnus-dired.el was originally indented
> using emacs's default indentation in emacs-lisp-mode.  Is there any
> way I could have coded it differently to avoid requiring your
> whitespace modification?  If not, then I think you're going to have to
> repeat the changes you made again and again as new code is submitted
> using emacs-lisp-mode's default indentation rules.

We only have to do just the right thing.  We should never modify
the basic options in the public space.  We should take care that
we don't leave garbages in the Gnus files.  You don't have to
use Develock, but it may help you to keep source files clean.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>