* message mode, leading colons, and fake cited text
@ 2002-08-13  7:36 Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2002-08-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

Using Oort 0.07 in a color X gnu emacs window, generally happy with it.  The
only thing that gets to me is that if I start a line with a colon (for
instance, in the case of a smiley face), then that line is interpreted by
message mode as being a quote, so for instance if I do:
:) hello there blahdeblahblahblah
then the entire line above this one is in red (the color that quoted text
normally shows up as).  I thought that the variable
message-cite-prefix-regexp would be the place to look to stop the colon from
acting as a cited-text-prefix, but no dice -- even setting it to the string
"XX" doesn't affect a mail or article buffer.  Am I missing something?  Is
there another variable to use for this?  Do people just put up with red
lines every time they start a line w/ a smiley?

Thanks in advance,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org