* Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-10 11:09 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-01-10 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fresh CVS. I use the agent and an nnimap backend. Sometimes
when I try to leave a group, I get the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p (8567))
  gnus-compress-sequence(((8567)) t)
  gnus-update-marks()
  gnus-summary-update-info()
  gnus-summary-exit()
* call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)

The only way I've found to exit the group when this happens
is to kill the buffer. Any ideas on what might be going on
here?

Niklas

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-11 18:15 ` Patrice Neff
From: Patrice Neff @ 2003-01-11 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p (8567))
>   gnus-compress-sequence(((8567)) t)
>   gnus-update-marks()
>   gnus-summary-update-info()
>   gnus-summary-exit()
> * call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)

Are you using spam.el? I just deactivated spam.el yesterday and since
then the problem is gone. Maybe it's the same for you.

Bye
Patrice

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-13  4:37   ` Ted Zlatanov
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-13  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
>>   number-or-marker-p (8567)) gnus-compress-sequence(((8567)) t)
>>   gnus-update-marks() gnus-summary-update-info()
>>   gnus-summary-exit() * call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)
>
> Are you using spam.el? I just deactivated spam.el yesterday and
> since then the problem is gone. Maybe it's the same for you.

Strange, how could spam.el be a problem with article numbers?  It
looks like gnus-compress-sequence expects a number and is getting a
list of one article.  Can you try using spam.el without the summary
exit hooks and see if you still get this error?  Even so, there has to
be something else wrong.  spam.el does not anything unusual at summary
exit, except move articles - which I assume you are not using.

I have not seen this problem yet, so it would be great if you could
tell us how to reproduce it.  If you submit a Gnus bug, cc me on it
please.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-13  8:11     ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-01-13  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
>>>   number-or-marker-p (8567)) gnus-compress-sequence(((8567)) t)
>>>   gnus-update-marks() gnus-summary-update-info()
>>>   gnus-summary-exit() * call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)
>>
>> Are you using spam.el? I just deactivated spam.el yesterday and
>> since then the problem is gone. Maybe it's the same for you.

I am using spam.el, yes.

> I have not seen this problem yet, so it would be great if
> you could tell us how to reproduce it. If you submit a
> Gnus bug, cc me on it please.

Certainly. I know unreproducible bug reports are pretty much
useless, which is why I was asking if anyone else had seen
the same problem. I'll let you know if/when I have more
useful info.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Strange, how could spam.el be a problem with article numbers?  It
> looks like gnus-compress-sequence expects a number and is getting a
> list of one article.

I think the bug is related to the code that's marking (possibly
several) messages as replied.  It's a kinda tricky macro to write,
and I have a slight feeling that it's evaling differently when Gnus
is compiled as when it's not.

The bug might be fixed now, though -- I tinkered some with it
yesterday.

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-14  0:30       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-01-14  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Strange, how could spam.el be a problem with article numbers?  It
> looks like gnus-compress-sequence expects a number and is getting a
> list of one article.

Lars> I think the bug is related to the code that's marking (possibly
Lars> several) messages as replied.  It's a kinda tricky macro to write,
Lars> and I have a slight feeling that it's evaling differently when Gnus
Lars> is compiled as when it's not.

Lars> The bug might be fixed now, though -- I tinkered some with it
Lars> yesterday.

Unfortunately didn't.  I still got the same error after I post
forward an article:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument number-char-or-marker-p (445))
  <(369 (445))
  sort(((445)) <)
  gnus-update-marks()
  gnus-summary-update-info()
  #<compiled-function (&optional temporary) "...
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-14  7:56         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-01-14  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fixed in CVS.

Lars> The bug might be fixed now, though -- I tinkered some with it
Lars> yesterday.

> Unfortunately didn't.  I still got the same error after I post
> forward an article:

> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument number-char-or-marker-p (445))
>   <(369 (445))
>   sort(((445)) <)
>   gnus-update-marks()
>   gnus-summary-update-info()
>   #<compiled-function (&optional temporary) "...
>   call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)

Sorry, I should have written like this:

  I still got the same error after I post-forward marked plural
  articles using gnus-summary-post-forward.

I found the problem is caused by gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward
which passes a list of article numbers to
gnus-inews-add-send-actions since gnus-summary-work-articles is
used for such a situation.
--

@ 2003-01-14  8:01     ` Patrice Neff
From: Patrice Neff @ 2003-01-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Strange, how could spam.el be a problem with article numbers?

Meanwhile I have to say that the problem did not go away. I'm trying
to find out how to reproduce the bug.

Bye
Patrice

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-14 16:17           ` Mark Thomas
From: Mark Thomas @ 2003-01-14 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:

> Fixed in CVS.

My Gnus is up-to-date, and I just an error on group exit after
following-up to an article.  I've lost the backtrace, but the error
was caused by passing a list of the form '((123)) to
gnus-compress-sequence.

If I get a backtrace after emailing this message, I'll post it.

-Mark

* Re: Problem with exiting groups
@ 2003-01-15  0:34             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-01-15  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:

>> Fixed in CVS.

> My Gnus is up-to-date, and I just an error on group exit after
> following-up to an article.  I've lost the backtrace, but the error
> was caused by passing a list of the form '((123)) to
> gnus-compress-sequence.

> If I get a backtrace after emailing this message, I'll post it.

Hm.  Please write exactly what, what, and what you operated
before exiting a summary buffer.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>