* moving from nnir search results  :error
@ 2010-12-14 10:30 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

afaik, moving from an nnir search group was added. It seems to be
broken. I now get:-

nnir-registry-action: Symbol's function definition is void:
gnus-registry-action

let me know if you need a more complete backtrace.

I dont use the registry as it always seemed to play havoc with my
article counts. Should I use it now?

regards

r.

* Re: moving from nnir search results  :error
@ 2010-12-14 12:27 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-12-14 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Richard> afaik, moving from an nnir search group was added. It seems
    Richard> to be broken. I now get:-

    Richard> nnir-registry-action: Symbol's function definition is void:
    Richard> gnus-registry-action

    Richard> let me know if you need a more complete backtrace.

    Richard> I dont use the registry as it always seemed to play havoc
    Richard> with my article counts. Should I use it now?

Ah, my fault. I just assumed that everyone was using the registry. I'll
fix this.

As for the registry, I really like it. I defer to others (like Ted) to
say if there is any downside to using it.

Andy

* Re: moving from nnir search results  :error
@ 2010-12-14 13:08   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cohen; +Cc: ding

Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:

>     Richard> afaik, moving from an nnir search group was added. It seems
>     Richard> to be broken. I now get:-
>
>     Richard> nnir-registry-action: Symbol's function definition is void:
>     Richard> gnus-registry-action
>
>     Richard> let me know if you need a more complete backtrace.
>
>     Richard> I dont use the registry as it always seemed to play havoc
>     Richard> with my article counts. Should I use it now?
>
> Ah, my fault. I just assumed that everyone was using the registry. I'll
> fix this.
>
> As for the registry, I really like it. I defer to others (like Ted) to
> say if there is any downside to using it.
>
> Andy

I'm not sure I fully understand what its for tbh. I know that when I
moved email around that when it was on I lost a load of email : that and
it was another thing that didnt seem to work too well when syncing
different machines. Possibly it's all a lot better now?

* Re: moving from nnir search results  :error
@ 2010-12-15  0:10   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-15  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:27:22 -0500 Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> wrote:

AC> As for the registry, I really like it. I defer to others (like Ted) to
AC> say if there is any downside to using it.

The registry is completely harmless when enabled.  It never modifies
anything, it only observes spool/delete/copy/move activity.  But it's
definitely not a good thing by default because it uses memory.  Perhaps
it could use a DB backend instead of putting everything in memory.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:08:21 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

RR> I'm not sure I fully understand what [the registry is] for tbh. I
RR> know that when I moved email around that when it was on I lost a
RR> load of email : that and it was another thing that didnt seem to
RR> work too well when syncing different machines. Possibly it's all a
RR> lot better now?

I am pretty sure the Gnus registry didn't cause any mail loss for you;
as far as synchronizing it, it doesn't do that currently but may in the
future.

Ted

* Re: moving from nnir search results  :error
@ 2010-12-15  0:22     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-15  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:27:22 -0500 Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> wrote:
>
> AC> As for the registry, I really like it. I defer to others (like Ted) to
> AC> say if there is any downside to using it.
>
> The registry is completely harmless when enabled.  It never modifies
> anything, it only observes spool/delete/copy/move activity.  But it's
> definitely not a good thing by default because it uses memory.  Perhaps
> it could use a DB backend instead of putting everything in memory.
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:08:21 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> I'm not sure I fully understand what [the registry is] for tbh. I
> RR> know that when I moved email around that when it was on I lost a
> RR> load of email : that and it was another thing that didnt seem to
> RR> work too well when syncing different machines. Possibly it's all a
> RR> lot better now?
>
> I am pretty sure the Gnus registry didn't cause any mail loss for you;
> as far as synchronizing it, it doesn't do that currently but may in the
> future.

There have been a lot of changes to things - possibly something else in
Gnus corresponded with when i tried it. But I definitely had registry
related issues with links to gnus articles suddenly not working.

I'm trying it again now so hopefully things will be better.