* cleaning out old nnml groups
@ 2019-01-29  8:20 Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2019-01-29  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Over the years of uisng gnus, I have accumulated a number of nnml groups
that can be seen when going into the server but where the corresponding
directory no longer exists.

They are still known to gnus since (I assume) they are still present in
the active file.

Is there a simple and/or safe way to clean up the active file, other
than to edit it directly? It does not appear that the command
gnus-group-check-bogus-groups does anything to nnml groups.

My gnus version is "Gnus v5.13".

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

* Re: cleaning out old nnml groups
@ 2019-01-29 16:46 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-01-29 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lynbech Christian wrote:

> Over the years of uisng gnus, I have
> accumulated a number of nnml groups that can
> be seen when going into the server but where
> the corresponding directory no longer exists.
>
> They are still known to gnus since (I assume)
> they are still present in the active file.
>
> Is there a simple and/or safe way to clean up
> the active file, other than to edit it
> directly? It does not appear that the command
> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups does anything
> to nnml groups.

`gnus-group-delete-group'?

> ------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
> ------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> Hit the philistines three times over the head
> with the Elisp reference manual.
>                                         -
> petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

Hint: RFC 3676, section 4.3 (Usenet Signature Convention)

    https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: cleaning out old nnml groups
@ 2019-02-04 15:58   ` Lynbech Christian
From: Lynbech Christian @ 2019-02-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: ding

Thanks, that will work nicely.

RE RFC3676: I know, I know, I will fix it.

                              -- Christian

-----------------------
On Tue, Jan 29 2019, Emanuel Berg wrote:

Lynbech Christian wrote:

> Over the years of uisng gnus, I have
> accumulated a number of nnml groups that can
> be seen when going into the server but where
> the corresponding directory no longer exists.
>
> They are still known to gnus since (I assume)
> they are still present in the active file.
>
> Is there a simple and/or safe way to clean up
> the active file, other than to edit it
> directly? It does not appear that the command
> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups does anything
> to nnml groups.

`gnus-group-delete-group'?