From: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev] even more confused
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:13:03 -0500	[thread overview]

Ok, 2 of the 4 patches Adam sent I didn't need, cause I did the same thing,
and Chris did the same thingtoo, in another branch.
Jesus!
But the other two patches I need.
I tried to put in the one, to extern C the header file,
and I thought the command was
git am mail_file
but I got this response, and eb.h did not change at all.

previous rebase directory /home/eklhad/progs/edbrowse/.git/rebase-apply still exists but mbox given.

What?????????????
Never saw that message before!
And it's clear as mud, like most of git.

I could cut&paste Adam's patch out mannually and apply it,
that's not hard, but I just don't understand what is going on.
I'm glad people like git, but I think it can really confuse things,
at least it has confused me.

On a related note, even though I don't know much about git,
I do know about source control in general, and in general,
when you merge two branches together, as Chris is suggesting,
if both those branches have zillions of changes to essentially the same lines of code,
which is already the case for us,
the merge is probably going to be impossible.
In other words, we have already set these branches up to collide in a bad way.
So what do we do now?

Well I will hold these two patches in my hand, and not do anything with them,
until Chriss tells me what to do,
unless of course my git am command actually did something
with that first patch, but if it did I don't see it.
IDK

Karl Dahlke