* [Edbrowse-dev] duplicated effort
@ 2013-12-24 15:38 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2013-12-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Ok guys, we are really screwing this up from the get-go.
Chris and I are doing exactly the same work, but in two different branches.
I have confidence in us and wouldn't waste time and confusion with another branch.
I don't understand branches anyways.
I barely understand git!
Besides, almost all the work is in two new files, jsdom.cpp and jsloc.cpp,
which can't possibly screw up the original stuff.
We only change the makefile at the last minute when it all works,
or we're pretty sure it works.
I would recommend staying with the main branch and being very
clear about who is going to do what.
Anyways I guess I'll stop working on things until we know what we're doing.

But hey, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have lots of people trying to help
than nobody trying to help.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] duplicated effort
@ 2013-12-24 15:45 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2013-12-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:38:10AM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> Ok guys, we are really screwing this up from the get-go.
> Chris and I are doing exactly the same work, but in two different branches.

Yeah, and I've just sent a number of patches which it sounds like aren't
needed/wanted against the master branch.

> I have confidence in us and wouldn't waste time and confusion with another branch.
> I don't understand branches anyways.
> I barely understand git!
> Besides, almost all the work is in two new files, jsdom.cpp and jsloc.cpp,
> which can't possibly screw up the original stuff.
> We only change the makefile at the last minute when it all works,
> or we're pretty sure it works.

The only comment I'd make on this is the typedef and constant changes have to be over multiple files
but I checked it builds (on debian against the libmozjs185 packages).

> I would recommend staying with the main branch and being very
> clear about who is going to do what.
> Anyways I guess I'll stop working on things until we know what we're doing.
Same here, appologies for the patch noise.

> But hey, don't get me wrong, I'd rather have lots of people trying to help
> than nobody trying to help.

Good to hear. These things take time to work out,
particularly when you have multiple developers working on a relatively small code base.

Cheers,
Adam.