* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] inflation
       [not found] <20140127070736.eklhad@comcast.net>
@ 2014-02-27 18:10 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-02-27 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:07:36AM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
[snip]
> .......... is clear and concise, and even a huge file only takes up
> a few hundred bytes on your screen or in your log buffer,
> and if you want to know how many megabytes so far,
> just hit control w (on my adapter) for the current column number,
> or read the word as "dot length 47", or however your adapter does it,
> as I'm sure there is some easy way.

On most terminals what happens is you reach 80 chars and then the dots
go on to the next line etc. Thus, a 300 mB file turns into nearly 4 lines of dots.

In your adapter, it's slightly different as it works purely based on newlines,
so this isn't a problem.

> If I reviewed the log buffer later, I wouldn't want to read
> 337 lines of
> downloaded x
> downloaded x
> downloaded x
> downloaded x
> downloaded x
> instead of just one line of 337 dots.

Tbh I can see where you're coming from.
I'm not entirely sure I like either particularly.
In speakup what you get is that when the dots wrap on to the next line,
the line number increases and the columns count again from the left.
This means that you then have to work out how wide your terminal is,
where the download started etc to calculate the amount downloaded.
Whereas, with the "downloaded x" or perhaps just x interface you get lines of
scrolling numbers. Either way isn't the most usable experience.
This being said, as you don't particularly like the new interface proposal,
I'm ok leaving as is (with the 1 mB, or user configurable? change).

Cheers,
Adam.

* [Edbrowse-dev] Inflation
@ 2014-02-27 17:52 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-02-27 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

I wrote:

> Don't think I would like that interface ... it would really annoy me ... etc

Wow - rereading my earlier post to the group, I apologize for being so rude.
I was having a bad day, for reasons that don't matter because there is no excuse.
That's no way to treat your friends.

Anyways things are better now, and my mind is clear again.
mea copa, and thank you, for everything.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev]  inflation
@ 2014-02-27 12:07 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-02-27 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> downloaded: <however_many> mB
> lines during the download rather than dots?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I would like that interface at all,
though I realize almost every other piece of software does this, like fsck etc.
Edbrowse is all about minimal output.
.......... is clear and concise, and even a huge file only takes up
a few hundred bytes on your screen or in your log buffer,
and if you want to know how many megabytes so far,
just hit control w (on my adapter) for the current column number,
or read the word as "dot length 47", or however your adapter does it,
as I'm sure there is some easy way.
If I reviewed the log buffer later, I wouldn't want to read
337 lines of
downloaded x
downloaded x
downloaded x
downloaded x
downloaded x
instead of just one line of 337 dots.
That would just annoy the crap out of me.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] inflation
@ 2014-02-27 11:09 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-02-27 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:39:20AM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> Edbrowse prints progress dots as it is downloading, one dot per 100K of data.
> Should this become one dot per megabyte?
> Things are so fast now that downloads are just a blur of dots.
> And one dot per megabyte would be a nice round number.

After a little more thought, would it be better to print:
downloaded: <however_many> mB
(where <however_many> is the current number)

@ 2014-02-26 17:00   ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-02-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cleverson Casarin Uliana; +Cc: edbrowse-dev

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:51:48AM -0300, Cleverson Casarin Uliana wrote:
> I agree with this. Even in the so called emerging countries, like here
> in Brazil, broad band is fast enough.

Sounds like a good (and hopefully small) change.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] inflation
@ 2014-02-26 14:51 ` Cleverson Casarin Uliana
From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana @ 2014-02-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

I agree with this. Even in the so called emerging countries, like here
in Brazil, broad band is fast enough.

Cleverson

> Edbrowse prints progress dots as it is downloading, one dot per 100K of
> data.
> Should this become one dot per megabyte?
> Things are so fast now that downloads are just a blur of dots.
> And one dot per megabyte would be a nice round number.
>
> Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev] inflation
@ 2014-02-26 14:39 Karl Dahlke