From: Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 21:12:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 07:00:40AM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> I don't understand the html at all, and wouldn't know how
> to fix edbrowse to work with it.

It's html5 from what I can see, and it looks like they're using (and abusing?)
the standard to the fullist extent.

> Here is the relevant html from the home page.
>
>                     <form action="#" class="coverage-location-form span12">
>                             <input id="locationInput" type="text" placeholder="Enter city, state or zip code" class="span6" maxlength="50">
>                             <button class="span6 btn btn-primary" data-coverage-home="/content/tmo-wem/en/index/coverage.html">
>                                 CHECK COVERAGE
>                             </button>
>                     </form>
>
> The placeholder attribute is interesting.
> Perhaps a new standard.
> I should, at a minimum, print this out in response to i?
> to explain the input field.
> Many times i? gives you no meaningful information at all.
> But that isn't the heart of the matter, is it?

No, but see:
http://www.w3schools.com/Tags/att_input_placeholder.asp

I'm not sure if we can treat it like a value attribute as I'm not sure if it should be submitted with the field or not.
Overall, I'm leaning towards your idea of printing it with i.

> Edbrowse says the button has no associated javascript, and indeed it doesn't.
> Is js code affixed to this button dynamically, via a maze of javascript
> that just doesn't execute properly under edbrowse?
> Or am I suppose to treat a button as a submit button when there is no js under it?
> If yes, then why is there no place to go on this form other than "#"?

I can see at the top of the page that jquery is involved,
and we know that doesn't work currently,
so I'd guess that they're assigning things dynamically (note this is only a
guess though).
I'm also willing to bet that the data-coverage-home attribute is a
non-standard thing, probably used by some js to submit the form,
with # probably meaning something like "reload the same page" in this context.

As a side-note, I noticed some interesting urls which made it look like they
were pointing directly into svn checkouts on their server.

> This may be one of those sites that's just too complicated to run,
> there are more and more of these sites all the time.
> I looked around for a text friendly version, or low graphics,
> or mobile version, and couldn't find any such.
> (Imagine looking for the word mobile on the T-mobile site - that was a laugh.)

Yeah I bet.

Basically, from what I've seen, we *really* need to get at least enough of
jquery working to be able to do the dynamic page modification stuff.

Cheers,
Adam.
PS: any ideas on how to get something approaching working ajax as well?