* [Edbrowse-dev]  Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
@ 2014-08-05 11:00 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-08-05 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> I went to www.tmobile.com,
> and attempted to submit my location

Are you suggesting, via the subject,
that this might have worked in an earlier version?
I would be surprised.
I don't understand the html at all, and wouldn't know how
to fix edbrowse to work with it.
Here is the relevant html from the home page.

                    <form action="#" class="coverage-location-form span12">
                            <input id="locationInput" type="text" placeholder="Enter city, state or zip code" class="span6" maxlength="50">
                            <button class="span6 btn btn-primary" data-coverage-home="/content/tmo-wem/en/index/coverage.html">
                                CHECK COVERAGE
                            </button>
                    </form>

The placeholder attribute is interesting.
Perhaps a new standard.
I should, at a minimum, print this out in response to i?
to explain the input field.
Many times i? gives you no meaningful information at all.
But that isn't the heart of the matter, is it?

Edbrowse says the button has no associated javascript, and indeed it doesn't.
Is js code affixed to this button dynamically, via a maze of javascript
that just doesn't execute properly under edbrowse?
Or am I suppose to treat a button as a submit button when there is no js under it?
If yes, then why is there no place to go on this form other than "#"?

This may be one of those sites that's just too complicated to run,
there are more and more of these sites all the time.
I looked around for a text friendly version, or low graphics,
or mobile version, and couldn't find any such.
(Imagine looking for the word mobile on the T-mobile site - that was a laugh.)
Anyways I don't know if this helps much, or if anyone else can shed some light.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
@ 2014-08-05 12:44 ` Charles Hallenbeck
From: Charles Hallenbeck @ 2014-08-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Hi Karl,

No, this site has not worked in earlier versions either, though it's
been  a long time since I tried it. I'm looking for a less expensive
cell service provider than Verizon, and was hoping to be able to
evaluate their service before committing to anything.

Thanks for giving it a look.

Chuck

--

 Chuck in Ghent, northeast of Hudson on the Hudson.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
@ 2014-08-05 20:12 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-08-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 07:00:40AM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> I don't understand the html at all, and wouldn't know how
> to fix edbrowse to work with it.

It's html5 from what I can see, and it looks like they're using (and abusing?)
the standard to the fullist extent.

> Here is the relevant html from the home page.
>
>                     <form action="#" class="coverage-location-form span12">
>                             <input id="locationInput" type="text" placeholder="Enter city, state or zip code" class="span6" maxlength="50">
>                             <button class="span6 btn btn-primary" data-coverage-home="/content/tmo-wem/en/index/coverage.html">
>                                 CHECK COVERAGE
>                             </button>
>                     </form>
>
> The placeholder attribute is interesting.
> Perhaps a new standard.
> I should, at a minimum, print this out in response to i?
> to explain the input field.
> Many times i? gives you no meaningful information at all.
> But that isn't the heart of the matter, is it?

No, but see:
http://www.w3schools.com/Tags/att_input_placeholder.asp

I'm not sure if we can treat it like a value attribute as I'm not sure if it should be submitted with the field or not.
Overall, I'm leaning towards your idea of printing it with i.

> Edbrowse says the button has no associated javascript, and indeed it doesn't.
> Is js code affixed to this button dynamically, via a maze of javascript
> that just doesn't execute properly under edbrowse?
> Or am I suppose to treat a button as a submit button when there is no js under it?
> If yes, then why is there no place to go on this form other than "#"?

I can see at the top of the page that jquery is involved,
and we know that doesn't work currently,
so I'd guess that they're assigning things dynamically (note this is only a
guess though).
I'm also willing to bet that the data-coverage-home attribute is a
non-standard thing, probably used by some js to submit the form,
with # probably meaning something like "reload the same page" in this context.

As a side-note, I noticed some interesting urls which made it look like they
were pointing directly into svn checkouts on their server.

> This may be one of those sites that's just too complicated to run,
> there are more and more of these sites all the time.
> I looked around for a text friendly version, or low graphics,
> or mobile version, and couldn't find any such.
> (Imagine looking for the word mobile on the T-mobile site - that was a laugh.)

Yeah I bet.

Basically, from what I've seen, we *really* need to get at least enough of
jquery working to be able to do the dynamic page modification stuff.

Cheers,
Adam.
PS: any ideas on how to get something approaching working ajax as well?

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
@ 2014-08-11 10:57   ` Charles Hallenbeck
From: Charles Hallenbeck @ 2014-08-11 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Carhart; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Kevin,

Many thanks for your sleuthing on this issue. I haven't tried your link
yet, but may do so later. Meanwhile I'm trying to identify T-mobile
users in my areas of interest, without much success. That alone ought to
tell me something.

Chuck

--

@ 2014-08-11  3:52 ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2014-08-11  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Hi Chuck

I was hoping I could dig up something for you on t-mobile.com, but I don't
think I can yet.  Some day maybe we can make that javascript from your
transcript just work.  The thing about this T-Mobile site is that
they have done their coverage information as a graphical Google Map with
splotches of color for the levels.  So that's dumb decisionmaking on their
part.  What I did find was that in the bowels of the program, they do
have something that you can read as plain text.  The coverage levels for a
particular city are retrieved using a long, ugly URL like:

http://www.t-mobile.com/srvspub/proxyeng?path=/Directory/RESTService/searchNearestAtPoint&point=-73%2042&table=PUBLIC;TMobileDomain//Coverage.Umts&coordSysIn=EPSG:4269&maxCandidates=1&distance=.001&distanceUnit=MI&name=MBB&criterion=Proximity&output=json

And where it says 'point=', it is accepting a latitude and longitude pair.
Like the latitude and longitude for Ghent, for instance.  The output
contains something called CovClass, which I think is a number that ties
back to their coverage level- the answer you want.

{"EnvinsaResponse":{"type":"SearchResponse","featureCollection":{"distanceUnit":"MI","features":[{"distanceUnit":"MI","distance":"0.00000","attributes":[{"value":"4","name":"CovClass"}],"point":{"y":42,"x":-73}}],"coordSys":"epsg:4269"}}}

Of course you need a key to know what the value "4" means.  So when does
this become more work than it is worth?  You may be long gone to another
solution to your question in the time it would take to deal with all of
this.  The reason I'm writing up this email is that I was excited
to find that it was not futile to go looking in the HTTP sessions for
plain text. (for this particular site, at least.)  Potentially an edbrowse
user could disregard the bloated interface altogether, and plug the
latitude and longitude right into a srvspub/proxyeng URL.  I don't know..
it could be a medium-difficulty page.  Not as good as the ones where the
authors have made an effort to write a website that works in plain text,
but not as bad as some that have zilch apart from their graphics.

Kevin

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Below is a capture of a very simple task that failed. I went to
> www.tmobile.com, searched twice for an empty text entry field, and
> attempted to submit my location (Ghent, NY) to determine the level of
> signal I might expect here. Before activating the submit button, I
> requested debug level 7, and then quit immediately that action failed.
>
> The following is only 30 lines long, I hope it contaqins some
> information that is meaningful to one of you, I don't know what to make
> of it.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>
> ---- start script ---
>

> Script started on Mon 04 Aug 2014 02:04:16 PM EDT
> [chuckh@acer ~]$ edbrowse www.t-mobile.com
> 84591
> [14:04:44] Ensighten> Bootstrap=nexus.ensighten.com/tmobile/prod/code/
> [14:04:44] Ensighten> UTL:Helper Functions 20140318
> [14:04:44] Inside Tracker Framework
> [14:04:44] Ensighten: EDL Common Global
> [14:04:45] Initializing with profile 12015924.
> [14:04:45] Exception during init TypeError: a.parentNode is undefined
> warning: http error 404, Not Found
> line 1812: could not fetch javascript from http://es.t-mobile.com/mpel.js?href=www.t-mobile.com&ref=&lang=english, code 404
> 5503
> /<>
> Search <> <Go>Search
> /
> <> <> CHECK COVERAGE
> i1=Ghent, NY
> <Ghent, NY> <> CHECK COVERAGE
> db7
> i*
> scmd = *
> findField returns 2.406
> undoCompare no undo map
> jSyncup starts
> jSyncup ends
> no javascript associated with this button
> undoCompare strip 0
> freeWindowLines = 301
> freeWindowLines = 1913
> [chuckh@acer ~]$
>
> ---- end script --
>
> BTW, elinks still uses JS 1.85, and fails to even display the opening
> screen.
>
> Chuck
>

> --
>
> Chuck in Ghent, northeast of Hudson on the Hudson.

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists

* [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse 3.5.1 submit button fails
@ 2014-08-04 18:21 Charles Hallenbeck