* [Edbrowse-dev] Wish List
@ 2015-05-05  0:35 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-05-05  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

As per the discussion of tracking tasks
that we want to do, or need to do.

Years ago I made a file called todo at the top level.
Take a look at it; it's in your snapshot.
It is suppose to be things to do.
And apparently I haven't looked at it in years.
Some things on there are already done, some we have decided not to do,
some require clarification, etc.
If this simple approach is too simple,
not a complete capability tracking system, then I should delete the file.
If however we think it would suffice, at least for the short term,
then I would like to rename it wishlist,
and organize it into sections, and describe some of the things
we would like to do, and we can all edit and elaborate,
and maybe even remove something when it is complete,
or put our name by something if we are actively working on it.
It would just be a text file and if that's too limited I certainly understand.
But that's how I was tracking things like ten years ago,
or how I wanted to, though I didn't even keep up with that.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Wish List
@ 2015-05-05  7:27 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2015-05-05  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:35:06PM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> As per the discussion of tracking tasks
> that we want to do, or need to do.
>
> Years ago I made a file called todo at the top level.
> Take a look at it; it's in your snapshot.
> It is suppose to be things to do.
> And apparently I haven't looked at it in years.
> Some things on there are already done, some we have decided not to do,
> some require clarification, etc.
> If this simple approach is too simple,
> not a complete capability tracking system, then I should delete the file.
> If however we think it would suffice, at least for the short term,
> then I would like to rename it wishlist,
> and organize it into sections, and describe some of the things
> we would like to do, and we can all edit and elaborate,
> and maybe even remove something when it is complete,
> or put our name by something if we are actively working on it.
> It would just be a text file and if that's too limited I certainly understand.
> But that's how I was tracking things like ten years ago,
> or how I wanted to, though I didn't even keep up with that.

Personally I'd keep it named todo, however as you said it's rather limited.
In addition, multiple people editing this file is going to lead to git
conflicts possibly. I've always thought of todo files as a high level file,
whereas task tracking systems handle the lower level tasks.
In addition, I was hoping that whatever system we use could be linked to our vcs, i.e.
we could get commits to github to resolve issues on the issue tracker.
It may be that the github issue tracker does this already,
but I'm not sure how this works.
Moving to a task tracking system would also give greater visibility to our
users in terms of releases and bug resolution.

Cheers,
Adam.

* [Edbrowse-dev]  Wish List
@ 2015-05-05  8:47   ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-05-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> Personally I'd keep it named todo, however as you said it's rather limited.
> I've always thought of todo files as a high level file,
> whereas task tracking systems handle the lower level tasks.

I see what you're saying.
Ok I'll keep it in place, but edit and organize it,
as it is *terribly* out of date.

Karl Dahlke